Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please hlep

Default Please hlep

My baby had Down's. She nursed fine but was would get tired so I supplemented her with expressed milk in a bottle.

She had open heart surgery May 23. She developed chylothorax and was tube feed portagen for 2 weeks there. When I started to nipple feed her the portagen she would did great. Then about a two days later she started to cry and pull off the bottle. They did a swallow test and found she was aspirating a bit so they told me to add thickener.

She has since been able to get back on to breastmilk with the thickener.

I have tried to nurse her on her side with her chin tucked and still she chokes and cries.

Is there any hope that I will be able to nurse her again.

I am so depressed and sad.

Default Re: Please hlep

how scary!
    Do you have any kind of support group at your hospital?
    heres a link to find your local lc or Ibclc
    http://www.kellymom.com/lcdirectory/index.html

heres a good link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/down.html

I agree with looking in to some support. And just so you know, there is always hope. Hang in there, mama!

Hi Paula7, and welcome to the forums! My goodness, what a rough time you and your little girl have had! I'm sure the breastfeeding and breastmilk you've been able to provide for her have helped a lot to protect and nurture her in the midst of these health crises. Congratulations to you both for pulling through her surgery.

I don't know anything about chylothorax or how that might be impacting her nursing problems now. I would suspect that having previously nursed successfully means the odds are in your favor that she will be able to get the hang of it again, but I don't know enough about your situation to make any promises or to know quite how to guide you.

Have you consulted in person with a lactation consultant who has the IBCLC credential? Best of all would be an IBCLC who has experience helping babies with Down's. Do you know how to go about finding someone?

It is so normal to feel depressed and sad about this complication in your breastfeeding relationship! You and your baby have already been through so much together. I'm sure you miss that special connection of being able to feed and comfort her directly at the breast. I truly hope you will be able to nurse her again successfully -- and soon!

We're here for you.

What has your baby's doctor suggested in regards to the choking while nursing?

Are you currently seeing an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)? If not, I would urge you to get in contact with someone. You might even call a few and locate someone with experience with similar situations.

Is your baby currently having issues with chylothorax? There is an inspirational story on the LLL site, and I can link you to it if you'd like.

I'm so sorry for your hardship right now! As a previous poster said..there is hope. I have read several threads here where mommies have been able to ebf after previous troubles. You have a scenero that may not be common, but that doesn't mean you can't make it. You may want to check the threads that focus on Chronic Conditions for Baby and Relactation and Induced Lactation. If your dd was not having trouble nursing before surgery than you may not have any issues once the chylothorax has cleared up. She may have some nipple confusion, and that is definately something you can get help with.

I also want to say that I am in impressed by your obvious courage! What a beautiful and loving momma this darling baby has! When you are a loving and concerned mommy it is always hard when there seems to be something we can't help our lo's with, but the care and hard work you do for your lo can be an inspiration for others.I know that's why every woman on this website is here. They love and care and help without counting the cost. There seems to be no measure for it.

It seems to me that the determination factor is key. But as long as you've done what you can ( and what we are able to do depends on our own situations) than you can have peace in that even if the bf does not work out at this time. Your love for your dd is what is the most important thing! I think that the pressure in this world so focused on the bottom line of production can be crushing! But seeing as you've passed several hurdles so far you're not gonna be out for the count on this! Love seems to give us the courage and strength to do more than what we ever thought we could!

Good luck!