Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. says I need to give LO vitamins

Angry Dr. says I need to give LO vitamins

When we took LO to her 2 week check up, her pediatrician said to give her Tri-vi-sol because she doesn't get enough in my breastmilk. I started giving it to her and she HATED it. She would throw her body back and scream like she was in pain and sometimes it would come out her nose. I only gave a tiny bit at a time to get it down, but we still got the same results.

I did some research of my own to see if it was nessisary on this site. I read a lot about the vitamin D deffincency and about taking LO out in the sun. I started taking her out in the sun daily for 10-15 minutes or more a day and stopped the vitamins.

Well, LO had her 2 month check up and her pediatrian got after me about stopping the vitamins. I told her about taking her out in the sun and she quickly added that it wasn't for the vitamin D defficiancy but that breast milk just doesn't provide enough nutritian for babies. She told me to continue the vitamins.

I really am confused! I thought breastmilk has everything you baby needs. I can see if she wasn't gaining weight well or was a premee or had something wrong with her, how that may be nessisary, but she's a normal healthy 2 month old. She actually gained more than they expected and were happy about that. Women have been breastfeeding for thoughsands of years, why do they say now, that it's not enough?

I have choosen not to give her the vitamins until I learn some more on the matter. Does she really need to take vitamins?

Default Re: Dr. says I need to give LO vitamins

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

There are varying opinions on this.... IMO, breastmilk IS all your baby needs. But, it doesn't have iron, and not much Vit. D. Iron isn't really needed at this point in their life, so I don't worry about that. And like you know, they can absorb Vit. D from sunlight, so we make a point to spend at least some time in the sunlight each day.
    Our pediatrician also recommended the vitamins, I believe at his one month check-up. I just smiled and nodded, knowing I wouldn't be giving them to him. And he never asked again.

You know I had the same experience happen to me, that's one of the reasons I changed peds. I did a lot of research too, and I came to the conclusion that my baby does not "need" the vitamin d for health reasons. My breastmilk has everything my dd needs, and my baby was born with a liver full of vitamin D. I started to give dd the generic of "Tri-vi-sol" and she loved it, then I ran out and did not buy it anymore. My new ped says I don't have to give my dd the vitamin, so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    But, it doesn't have iron
    Breastmilk actually is a great source of iron for babies. While breastmilk does not contain a lot of iron, the type of iron is more bioavailable than the iron in supplements. From this LLLI article:

According to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by LLLI, the iron in human milk is better absorbed by your baby than is the iron in cow's milk or iron-fortified formula. This means that the quantity of iron in human milk is appropriate for baby instead of the larger quantity in cow's milk. The full-term healthy baby usually has no need of additional iron until about the middle of his first year, around the time he starts taking solids. The high lactose ad vitamin C levels in human milk aid the absorption of iron, and breastfed babies do not lose iron through their bowels.
    Iron levels are not affected by the mother's intake of iron.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Gentle Reminder: While everyone is welcome to share their opinions and experiences, please keep in mind that only LLL Leaders (users with "LLL" in their username) speak for La Leche League.

Trust your instinct on this one mama.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    There are varying opinions on this.... IMO, breastmilk IS all your baby needs. But, it doesn't have iron, and not much Vit. D. Iron isn't really needed at this point in their life, so I don't worry about that. And like you know, they can absorb Vit. D from sunlight, so we make a point to spend at least some time in the sunlight each day.
    Our pediatrician also recommended the vitamins, I believe at his one month check-up. I just smiled and nodded, knowing I wouldn't be giving them to him. And he never asked again.
    I am of the same opinion. I think unless you baby is sick and they prove a vitamin deficiency, then to hell with the vitamins. Breastmilk is all a baby needs. Our doctor told us they aren't necassary and that 10-15 minutes a week in the sun is fine for very young babies. I think vitamins are for the most part just a business, but thats just my opinion.

If your doc continues to harass you about it, just smile and nod like pp said.

LOL.. i still have the prescription for vitamins in my purse!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Do what your heart tells you to do. I would be hesitant to give them to my child unless there's a proven deficiency. My thoughts are that if your breastmilk didn't have everything that was needed, then there would be an awful lot of deficient people in the world!