Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipple question-- should I not BF On that side until I heal?

Default Sore nipple question-- should I not BF On that side until I heal?

My right side has a pretty big crack (?) -- feels like a gash -- and I'm wondering if I should not feed on that side, and just pump until it heals...

Advice would be great -- asap, even b/c baby is hungry...

Thanks

Default Re: Sore nipple question-- should I not BF On that side until I heal?

Hi MrsVest,
    Ouch! The first step would be to find the cause of your sore/cracked/bleeding nipple. Positioning and latch are the most common causes of nipple problems, especially in the first weeks. How old is your baby? Can you find someone local to help take a look at your baby's latch?
    But in the meantime, interrupting breastfeeding is rarely necessary, even in cases of extreme soreness.
    Check out this FAQ How do I heal sore nipples? where you can find these tips:
    • Check positioning and encourage your baby to open wide when latching on. See our FAQ on Positioning http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html.
    • Offer your baby short, frequent feedings to encourage a less vigorous suck.
    • Nurse on the least sore side first, if possible.
    • When removing your baby from your breast, break the suction gently by pulling on baby's chin or corner of mouth.
    • Warm, moist compresses applied to your nipples (if a yeast infection is not present) may be soothing.
    • Freshly expressed breastmilk applied to your nipples will not only soothe your nipples but also reduce the chances of infection, as human milk has antibacterial properties. (Again, do not use if thrush is present.)
    • Moist wound healing has been shown to be very effective for healing sore nipples. Keeping your nipples moist will allow any cracks to heal without scabbing or crusting. Lansinoh for Breastfeeding Mothers was developed specifically to create a moist healing environment for injured nipples and has been endorsed by La Leche League International in the USA. This product is available from LLLI Leaders and through our catalogue at http://www.lalecheleague.org/catalog.html.

Hope this was fast enough!

Mary

Thanks -- i fed on the "ok side" while waiting :-)

She's 7 weeks; i'll double-check position, etc.

For some reason we really have a hard time getting her to open wide.

Yes, waiting for the "gape" -- for them to open wide -- is important. Wide like a yawn is ideal. But some need to be encouraged more than others. To trigger the reflex that makes them open wide, you can lightly tickle or brush baby's lips rhythmically with your breast or nipple and wait until the baby opens wide. The key here is "lightly". This may take some time and patience. Some respond more quickly when just the upper lip or just the bottom lip is touched.
    By saying the word "open" as you do this, and opening your own mouth wide, your baby may learn to associate the word with the desired behavior. You can open your daughter's mouth wider by gently but firmly pulling down on the baby's chin as she is opening. If you do this while she is opening her mouth her muscles will be relaxed at that time.
    Keep working at it -- you're doing great!
    And congrats on your dd, by the way.

Mary

I had a hard time with my latch for 5 weeks. It was a nightmare. I thought I knew all I needed to know about breastfeeding since I ent to all the classes and read all the books. I learned nothing can help you like being shown the way to do it while you are doing it instead of trying to look at a paper. I went and got help with positioning and right away things got better. Maybe attend an LL meeting or see a Lactation Consultant. I don't regret spending the money to see an LC one little bit. I would have paid twice what I was charged! Hope things get better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLMaryP
    Hi MrsVest,
    Lansinoh for Breastfeeding Mothers was developed specifically to create a moist healing environment for injured nipples and has been endorsed by La Leche League International in the USA. This product is available from LLLI Leaders and through our catalogue at http://www.lalecheleague.org/catalog.html.[/LIST]

Hope this was fast enough!

Mary
    The Lansinoh brand is now available at Wal-Mart I discovered, by the way. Congratulations on new baby, and hang in there...you're doing great, and it does get easier!

Along with opening her bottom jaw for her - once latched you can also press up gently under her chin while she is nursing. This will make her tongue go out like it is supposed to. That was a huge problem for us and caused me huge nipple pain.

Also, try nipple shields - saved my sanity!

THanks, Hope. I'll try that. But not the nipple shield -- I JUST weaned her off of that (we used them from the hosp til 6 wks)