Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co-sleeping and diaper changes...

Default Re: Co-sleeping and diaper changes...

These are all good tips, thanks! My baby boy is still a pooping machine and I also go through a handful of diapers each night, but it sounds like this will slow down soon. I think we will give it a shot with one of those little pull up beds that go next to the big bed. What we are doing now (both my husband and I get up, he changes, I feed, he changes and then we try for an hour or so to get the baby back to sleep) is not really working well, because the baby inevitably wakes up and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. I have started leaving the lights off during the process, but that only helped so much. I think if we could all stay lying down - not up out of the crib, down in my lap, up to the changing table, etc. etc. - things would go much more smothly at night. Out of curisosity, of those who change in bed with little boys, how many "waterfalls" did you have to deal with in perfecting that process?

We only change poopy diapers, but let him go all night if it's just pee. I set up a diaper changing station on our dresser and I used to keep the bathroom light on very low so I could see what I was doing. I don't do that anymore because I hardly ever change his diaper at night.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

We don't change at night. (We also use cloth diapers though too) When we were using sposies we had to change him at night and I'd just do it as fast as possible, we bought a small "blue" glow light that I put over the changing table so I could turn it on to see but it wasn't a bright light that would wake him up all the way. After he was changed I'd just nurse him back to sleep.

As for co-sleeping have you thought of turning a crib into a 'side car' style crib? We took the front rail off of our crib and put our bed and his crib together with the back of his crib up against the wall so it can't move apart. That way DS has his own bed but he's still right there with us co-sleeping without as much fear of me rolling onto him. Now that DS is rolling and crawling We have a mesh toddler rail that goes inbetween our beds so he can't roll out of bed when he's down for a nap or if I get up before him in the morning.

HTH

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I have a bedside co-sleeper. I also keep a chair that is my bed height with one of those caboodles make-up cases and its filled with diapers, wipes, extra onsie, washcloth, diaper rash cream, thermometer. He is two months old now so its easier for me to just slide him next to me and let him eat while we are both lying down, change his diaper on my bed (i toss the dirty diaper under the chair in a trash bag) and then prop him up for a burping then slide him back to his cosleeper. I found a nightlight that you can angle down to the floor if you want it really dim. I just do things quickly and don't talk to him and he stays asleep the whole time. I get so much more sleep when I started this routine.

I said I would not co-sleep at all, but after couple nights (I mean weeks!) of being awake most of the time, I said "what the heck!" and we did it... It was awesome! We all could sleep for at least 7 hrs!!! I was just afraid that DD would have a hard time sleeping all by herself in her crib, but once she turned 3 months... MAGIC... she started sleeping in her crib for at least 8 hrs... I dont really know how that happened... I guess we are just lucky!!!

As far as changing her diapers, like somebody up there said, we had an agreement w/DH... She would wake up, he would change her, I would fee her and after 30 mins we were all happy sleeeping again!!!

Married to the love of my life Eric! 10-11-03
    Mommy to Erica! 03-05-07
    9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches!!!
    for 2 years!!!
    Mommy to Andres! 05-12-10
    9 lbs 10 oz and 21 1/4 inches!!!
    and hopefully for another 2 years

I change my daughter at about 10:30-11:00, right before her last feeding... she's usually good until 6:00 (when I have to get her up for daycare). Once she got a little red, so I put diaper cream on her and I haven't had any problems since. Hope everything helps!

We have a routine.

I'm getting to the point now where I let her wake me up instead of me waking her. She doesn't usually go more than 3 1/2 hours, but I do set a 4 hour alarm just in case she goes long.

Anyway, the routine is thus:

1) Change her
    2) Re-swaddle her
    3) Take her downstairs, put her in her swing
    4) Warm a bottle of breast milk. Once I've got it in the warmer, I pick her up and soothe her (she's usually crying like mad by then)
    5) Feed her
    6) Burp her
    7) Put her in her swing
    8) Pump
    9) Take her upstairs and go to bed.

It doesn't always work, but 98% of the time she's drifted off to sleep once I've finished pumping and washing my pump parts and putting them in the disinfector. We leave the hallway light on because we have stairs so we can see what we are doing when we go downstairs, but also because it's just enough light into our bedroom to see by but not enough to keep her up. We keep our closet door open too to shield her from light.

I cannot tell you how good of an investment our swing was. It's a swing that can swing front - back / side - side, and while it was pricey, it's been such a sleep saver. Before we had it our nights were miserable trying to get her off to sleep.

my lo is 4 weeks, and ever since he was a newborn he has been co-sleeping. my dh and i have a bassinet that is kept in the middle of our bed, which makes nighttime wakings extremely welcome. we change his diapers on this set-up we've created (we have a thick sheet that we lay down at the end of our bed, with another sheet type layer and then a headrest)... he's managed to squirt his pee across the bed only twice. in that case ive had to strip my bed of our duvet cover.. but that was all. i also keep my diaper genie at the end of my bed. its worked for us for 4 weeks so far without a problem!