Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-sleeping and diaper changes...

Default Co-sleeping and diaper changes...

I have a question about co-sleeping. I hear the benefits of being able to roll over and pop a boob in the baby's mouth so no one really has to "wake-up", however, those of you who do this, what do you do about dirty diapers? don't you still have to get up? I am terrified of sleeping with the baby in the bed, but as the 6 week growth spurt approaches, I am thinking of getting one of those little sleepers that pull along side the bed. The only thing is that if you still have to get up to change the diaper (which inevitable wakes my baby up and signals, PLAY TIME!) - then is it worth it? When he was 2 weeks old he started getting diaper rash and screamed every change, so now I am paranoid not to let the bacteria sit on his skin. I would hate to let him sit/sleep in a dirty diaper all night.

Default Re: Co-sleeping and diaper changes...

When my son was tiny, I used to just change his diaper very quietly and quickly. I started out with him in a bassinette beside my bed and when he'd wake up, I'd take him into the living room and turn on the television with no sound so I could see. As he got a little bigger (and I kept falling asleep in the rocking chair in the living room with him), I just started taking him to bed with me. If he needs a change, I do it fast and in the dark (he only ever pees as night), but most nights, I just put him in a dry diaper before his last feed (around 10:30 or 11:00) and then wait until morning to change him. It's always the first thing I do when I wake up, and he rarely leaks. But we've never had a problem with diaper rash either...

Do you have a diaper changing table on wheels? If not just keep a few diapers and the box of wipes next to the bed on a night stand so you do not have to get up to change your little one. If you get a bassinet just put enough diapers to get through the night and the wipes down by the babys feet so again you do not have to get up.

As for co-sleeping we do it occassionally and some how you just are aware even when sleep that your little one is in bed with you.

I agree, keep wipes and dipes nearby. Perhaps if you are worried, keep a low light on, like a nightlight, so you can still see a little, then lay back down with him and feed him after you change his diaper. That is what I would do. DD doesn't usually need a diaper change in the middle of the night anymore though, and I haven't had problems with diaper rash.

Our ped nurse told me that we could go overnight w/o a change if I slathered on the diaper rash ointment really thickly so that the moisture wouldn't get to his skin. DS only has one poopy diaper overnight though, and usually its at our 4am feeding. If yours poops multiple times I would just keep getting up to change it - eventually he'll go fewer times and also start sleeping longer. Good luck!

With my little one, we have co-slept since he came home from the hospital, I would just change him before feedings on my bed. I have a potty pad on my side so if there was a little pee it would not soil the bed, in the morning i would hang the pad if soiled wash it. I kept a night light on to see by and fresh diapers and wipes at the bed side. It really is easy to do. Change them quickly and "pop the boob in" and we would fill up and fall back asleep. Now we have a crib made into a side car sleeper and I just change him in there if he needs it in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremijasMom View Post
    I have a question about co-sleeping. I hear the benefits of being able to roll over and pop a boob in the baby's mouth so no one really has to "wake-up", however, those of you who do this, what do you do about dirty diapers? don't you still have to get up? I am terrified of sleeping with the baby in the bed, but as the 6 week growth spurt approaches, I am thinking of getting one of those little sleepers that pull along side the bed. The only thing is that if you still have to get up to change the diaper (which inevitable wakes my baby up and signals, PLAY TIME!) - then is it worth it? When he was 2 weeks old he started getting diaper rash and screamed every change, so now I am paranoid not to let the bacteria sit on his skin. I would hate to let him sit/sleep in a dirty diaper all night.

I had my lo sleep in his co-sleeper next to my bed up until he was almost 3 months. I would change his diaper in the dark with a little flash light. For his evening diaper make sure you put vaseline in his bottom (I preferred it over diaper cream). I use the baby dry pampers which I feel are the best at soaking up urine.

Just be quick when changing. I also used a wipe warmer so the cold wipe wouldn't wake him up too much.

They'll be less diapers soon, so it will get better.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I usually have to change my LO inbetween boobs because he poops or pees and hates to sit in a dirty diaper. My nighttime stragegy is a little different from the PP's.... I jiggle the bed and wake up daddy and he changes all the nighttime diapers. It's the 'arrangement' we worked out. We changed the lamp on his side (which also has the changing table) to a low wattage light bulb and he uses that when he's changing the baby.

As for co-sleeping, well I said I would never do it but I am and I love it. We get a very good night's sleep and I guess I just feel in 'sync' with my baby. You will get over the being scared part very quickly and enjoy it. My LO is 6 weeks as well and I think we started this the 3rd night home from the hospital.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I co-sleep and the only position she will sleep in is on my chest. What I do for diaper changes is I keep diapers and wipes on the side and turn my lamp on I put a older blanket (like one you get from the hospital) and change her diaper on top of my blanket with her blanket under her. She also hates being wet dirty so I can not and would not leave her dirty for the night. We actually go thru at least 4 diapers during the night. I find this is the easiest way without you having to get out of the bed since everything you need is there I even keep an extra night outfit for her also. So I have wipes, diapers, outfit, mylicon, nasal syringe, diaper ointment, you name it and it's there. I find the least I get up the better she has a chance of going right back to sleep.

I co-sleep in our spare bedroom with my LO. I had always vowed not to do it, but then I did it with our firstborn. Life is much happier in our house if Mommy is well rested!!!!
    I keep a few diapers and a box of wipes on the nightstand. And I make sure to slather my LO's bottom with diaper rash cream before we go to bed. I also use a nightlight for a little illumination!
    It works GREAT!!