Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does everyone do?

Default What does everyone do?

alright here'e the scenario:
    You are going out with your baby, for me it is twins, but anyhoo....you know that there is not going to be any convenient place to feed them and you are looking to avoid sheer chaos....do you nurse and supplement with EBM to tank them up and avoid hungry baby....do you pump during the day to bring the back up bottle just in case....do you just screw it and find a place to nurse them regardless of convenient? I run into this dilemma here and there and I never know what to do....like tonight planning on going to a carnival and i an not wanting to look like the circus act myself with the two screaming babies and boobs floppin everywhere..planning on leaving around 6...I can feed prior to leaving and babies get nighttime bottles anyway around 8:30 but....I guess I just panic because I never know what is in store for me!! Welcome to motherhood right? ahhhgggg!! What does everyone else do?

Default Re: What does everyone do?

the first thing you need to do is relax, momma! i nurse my ds wherever i may be. his needs come before that of total strangers that may be uncomfortable. this is where the relaxing comes into play.....the more relaxed you are while doing it the less people will even notice. i'm sure that if you bring a blanket you can find an area off to the side at the carnival to nurse. good luck! and have fun, you're going to the carnival!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Wink Re: What does everyone do?

If I don't think I will find a place that would make me feel comfortable BFing, I express and have bottles with me. So far that has worked out pretty well.

It must be difficult to handle two at a time! I find one overwhelming sometimes.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Hopefully you're not going to the carnival with them alone.

Here's what I do. I try to tank her up before we leave the house, but I know that sometimes it's not about whether or not she's full. I'm fully prepared to nurse her where ever, but I do try to find a quiet spot because I know that she will nurse better when there's nothing else to grab her attention. So I guess I would suggest doing the combo as above: tank them up for your own peace of mind and just find a spot where you can sit and nurse if necessary.

Good luck mama and have fun at the carnival!!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I nurse in the car constantly. If going somewhere for an extended period of time I try to nurse him before we go, so I only have to do 1 feeding while we are out. Sometimes he is fussy at the breast, so that makes the blanket cover up kind of hard, although I have done it at the mall. But mostly, I just pull the car to a more private parking spot and nurse him there. I also always bring a bottle of EBM just in case. I often give him a bottle if we are eating out...he inevitably wants to eat when we are eating. But I'm finding more now that I'd rather nurse him. So off to the car we go, even in the middle of dinner. I enjoy nursing obviously much more than giving a bottle and I hate the inconveince of my breasts being overly full and getting off schedule with him. We are pretty mobile people and thats what works for us.

I do a lot of car nursing too. Or van nursing, in my case. When ds was younger (he's 8 mo now), he'd just bf in the restaurant, or wherever. But now he's so squirmy that a blanket cover-up just won't work. So we just sit in the van. If we're somewhere like a park that has semi-secluded benches, we'll just nurse there. But most of the time it's the van. I had recurring mastitis and plugged ducts with my first baby, so I'm always hesitant to give him a bottle of EBM and mess up the nursing schedule and risk engorgement, etc.

I just nurse wherever we may be. Lots of times it is the car b/c it's so hot outside. That's what I love about breastfeeding, no extra prep needed. Of course you have twins so it's more complicated for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmcginnis View Post
    do you just screw it and find a place to nurse them regardless of convenient?

I try to tank DS up with nursing before we leave the house, but he's not always interested.

In public I'll nurse pretty much anywhere any time. I usually use a sling to provide some privacy for me & DS. He doesn't like having his head covered while eating so using a blanket as a cover up has never worked for us. I've nursed in the car a handful of times - usually when we're driving somewhere and DS needs to nurse NOW so I'll pull over and find a safe place to park. In my experience - very few people notice that DS is nursing (they think he's just being cuddly or sleeping in the sling). The handful of times anyone has noticed we're nursing I've gotten smiles and nods of support. Even in a busy setting, there's always a slightly quieter / more private location. I personally refuse to nurse in a bathroom. In terms of convenience - I like the ability to feed DS anywhere pretty much immediately by nursing without any schlepping along of bottles that need to be kept cold & then warmed.

In my experience - nursing in public is hardest the first couple of times. Hopefully you'll soon be able to say "that wasn't a big deal!"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have twins too!

I nurse them pretty much wherever. I do nurse them before I go, but if I'm out for a long time, I just find a place to nurse.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

In my experience - nursing in public is hardest the first couple of times. Hopefully you'll soon be able to say "that wasn't a big deal!"
    I SO agree!! The first few times were a little nerve wracking, but after doing it so many times, it's really not that big of a deal. I've gotten so good at it that no one has a clue that I'm nursing. Just takes practice!
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006