Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: GigantiBoob, Part Deux: She Brought Reinforcements

Default GigantiBoob, Part Deux: She Brought Reinforcements

Disclaimer: This story is told mostly for the purposes of amusement and not so much for education, although I have tried to throw in an educational tidbit at the end to satisfy the requirements of those who are probably sick of me writing really, really long sentences like this one just for the purpose of getting a good laugh. Thank you.

After sharing with you the tale of GigantiBoob a while ago, I have found that you all, in your great wisdom, were totally right. My supply did start to even out, and while I still get pretty full at night, especially because Haley only nurses on one side, I am able to just let the excess milk drip or express a bit and am fine until the next feeding. Phew!

Except, for no reason that I can detect, last night GigantiBoob once again reared her ugly head. Perhaps she was waiting to lull me into a false sense of security before striking again?

All I know is that this time she brought reinforcements. She brought her twin sister EnormaBoob. When I woke up at 2:20 to Haley's "feed me" noises, I didn't even know which side to start on. Both boobs were swollen like ticks on a hound dog. (Ew. Sorry. That was too much for even me. ) We made it through the night, but only because Haley didn't wait more than another 2 hours to want to nurse again. If she'd gone longer ... You would've heard the explosion across the country, I think!

I don't think she's been nursing any more frequently lately. The only unusual thing was that the night before she woke up at 11:30 wanting to nurse, so she got in an extra feeding beyond what she normally does at night. Is one extra night feeding enough to throw off my night regulation that much? Or do these boobs just like to make milk so much they can't get enough of it?

Educational tidbit: If you try to get your baby to nurse again after she has just spit up a whole bunch because she was trying to keep up with your OALD/OS, and if you are trying to get said nursing to happen on a second engorged breast, she will spit up again.
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; July 1st, 2007 at 07:36 PM.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: GigantiBoob, Part Deux: She Brought Reinforcements

She's back?!?!?!?! You can run but you can't hide.

Umm. Can I be helpful to you? I know that this happened to me a few times when I least suspected it. I would think everything was under control and then BAM! I wake up with a wet t-shirt and two dripping overfull boobs. Stupid Lefty sometimes brings a friend to the party. Just keep up the good work.

Wait... I think my supply is really appropriate right now. I hope I am right.

As a quick aside to your story I would like to add that when I was pumping and donating I lost more weight.

Feeling your pain. Imagine size F/G boobs engorged to make the situation a little closer to something rated with 3 Xs! I do a double take every time I see myself in the mirror. And I am horrified at what's gonna happen when the milk stops a-flowin'. Two feedbags swingin' in the wind. Yikes! (Fortunately, I've found a solution: medical tourism. )
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

i laughed so hard...but only because that happened to me! the first time ella slept through the night (and i mean...the ENTIRE night)....i woke up with a wet nightshirt. grrrrr. and i was still swollen. yeouch....it evens out eventually....i swear it does

Wow, the SuperBoob fits in perfectly here. I knew I was in trouble when before my milk came in, I could get the SuperBoob to leak over an ounce of collestrum while she was on the other one. (I held a bottle under it to see what I could catch. They told me too pump after I fed because I was using a nipple shield. Man was that a mistake.

No matter what, I still leak every night. Sometimes ounces of milk. I use a sleep bra, the most absorbant pads I can find, and I still wake up wet shirted. It got worse this last week because I'm having trouble regulating my pumping at work.

Gretchen - your stories absolutely crack me up. You have a way with words. I have gotten giganti and enorma boob too. I could harldy wait until my LO's next feeding to get the other boob to him!

Every once in a while in the night it happens...but no rhyme or reason to it that I can detect.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years