Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I cant do this anymore...

Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...GettingStarted
    maybe one of the clips on this page will help....!
    how to wean off the nipple sheild
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

This link is good too:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    But I also read something that said if he isn't pooping at his age he needs more milk.
    OK, so your LO was born May 22, that makes him almost 6 weeks old, right?

From The Breastfeeding Answer Book page 158:

Once the stools turn yellow, the mother should expect to see at least 3 to 4 bowel movements per day ... After 6 weeks of age, some breastfed babies continue with this pattern, while others have fewer bowel movements, which is not a cause for concern as long as they are gaining weight within the normal range.
    What did your LO weigh at birth? What was the lowest weight he achieved? How old was he then? Do you know how much he weighs now? (sorry for the barrage of questions ... I'm getting to my point) If he's gaining weight within the normal range, he should have gained about 6 ounces per week counting from his lowest weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MOML View Post
    OK, so your LO was born May 22, that makes him almost 6 weeks old, right?

From The Breastfeeding Answer Book page 158:

What did your LO weigh at birth? What was the lowest weight he achieved? How old was he then? Do you know how much he weighs now? (sorry for the barrage of questions ... I'm getting to my point) If he's gaining weight within the normal range, he should have gained about 6 ounces per week counting from his lowest weight.
    At birth he weighed 7lb 10oz. His lowest was 7lb 8oz that was at 3 weeks. At 5 weeks he weighed 7lb 15oz but that was after a few feedings with rice cereal and then some formula as per the doctor. I stopped the rice and formula and havent had him weighed yet again.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with the nipple shield problem. A midwife strongly suggested that I use them as well after a 1minute conversation about my bf:ing problems (pain and difficulty getting baby latched on). I think as a mother I have learned it's ok to do whatever gets you through a situation that you have decided to undertake. I just had to learn to let go of what I could not handle or control and just take it day by day - so at the 3week mark I closed my eyes and tried to make it to the next week. You know your limits better than anyone else.

I know you know this - but I think you really need to speak with a LC. What if you maintained an email or phone correspondence with one? Explain your situation (remote location) and your problem and see whether she can help you by email or telephone? These days you may even be able to set up a video link (if you both have the right equipment). I am sure that you could do with the reassurance and support of a live person, but maybe an email and/or telephone conversation may help you get on the right track, or at least feel better about what you are doing? HTH

At birth he weighed 7lb 10oz. His lowest was 7lb 8oz that was at 3 weeks. At 5 weeks he weighed 7lb 15oz but that was after a few feedings with rice cereal and then some formula as per the doctor. I stopped the rice and formula and havent had him weighed yet again.
    That is concerning. You really need to get in touch with a doctor who can help you and your son get back on track. My personal opinion is to not see the doctor you saw before, because s/he doesn't seem to be up on current practices (ie, not feeding solids before 6 months).

I think the help you need falls outside what you can get from a message board. One of the LLL Leaders here can likely help you find the right contact people (LCs or Leaders) in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by MOML View Post
    That is concerning. You really need to get in touch with a doctor who can help you and your son get back on track. My personal opinion is to not see the doctor you saw before, because s/he doesn't seem to be up on current practices (ie, not feeding solids before 6 months).

I think the help you need falls outside what you can get from a message board. One of the LLL Leaders here can likely help you find the right contact people (LCs or Leaders) in your area.

I have a weight check for him tomorrow. He finally went poop today. Thank god! My husband is in the Coast Guard and we are working with them right now to get medical orders to send me to Juneau to meet with a LC.

7. Dislike comfort nursing in general (I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS ONE)
    This means that baby does not enjoy nursing for comfort, and wants to come off the breast as soon as he's had his fill of food.

Fight to keep it on. He bites down and pulls it off.
    Could you try pinching down the shield and your areola to help your baby take a larger portion of the areola into his mouth? Getting a better latch from the start might help him stay on more comfortably.

What suggestions have you tried for weaning from the shield?

If you nurse lying down or leaning waaay back with baby lying on top, do things improve (the gagging, the pulling off, ect)?

If you go awhile between feedings, do your breasts get overly full? Does your milk spray if your baby pulls off?

I have a weight check for him tomorrow. He finally went poop today. Thank god! My husband is in the Coast Guard and we are working with them right now to get medical orders to send me to Juneau to meet with a LC.
    GREAT news on the poop (was it a normal poop, but just more of it?) and the possible visit to the IBCLC.

Please let us know how his weight check goes. Hoping for good results.

Some more questions:

How often does your baby spit up? Is it a lot? Is it forceful? Is it after every feeding (or almost every feeding)?

Does your baby have any rashes? Does he have a runny nose? Little bumps around his eyes? A red ring around his anus?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    This means that baby does not enjoy nursing for comfort, and wants to come off the breast as soon as he's had his fill of food.

Could you try pinching down the shield and your areola to help your baby take a larger portion of the areola into his mouth? Getting a better latch from the start might help him stay on more comfortably.

What suggestions have you tried for weaning from the shield?

If you nurse lying down or leaning waaay back with baby lying on top, do things improve (the gagging, the pulling off, ect)?

If you go awhile between feedings, do your breasts get overly full? Does your milk spray if your baby pulls off?

I wasnt aware that with the sheild he should still be taking in areola. No one ever told me that.

All anyone ever told me to do with the sheild is get him started on it, then take the sheild off and try to get him to latch on. Is there something better that I should be doing?

It doesnt matter which position I nurse in he still pulls off.

Yes, my breasts do get really full but I've never seen it spray.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    GREAT news on the poop (was it a normal poop, but just more of it?) and the possible visit to the IBCLC.

Please let us know how his weight check goes. Hoping for good results.

Some more questions:

How often does your baby spit up? Is it a lot? Is it forceful? Is it after every feeding (or almost every feeding)?

Does your baby have any rashes? Does he have a runny nose? Little bumps around his eyes? A red ring around his anus?
    It was normal consistancy but not color, and WAYYYYY more of it!

What is the IBCLC?

He spits up after every feeding and a while after. It doesnt seem forceful. He ate breastmilk from the bottle yesterday and threw up what looked like 2 oz of it.

No rashes, he had a runny nose a couple of weeks ago, no bumps, and I havent noticed and red rings...