Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I cant do this anymore...

Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    I wasnt aware that with the sheild he should still be taking in areola. No one ever told me that.
    Yes, even with the nipple shield, baby should be far back on the areola. You see, the milk glands are behind the nipple. Baby has to compress the milk glands in order to get enough milk. This (non-LLL) page shows what correct usuage of the shield looks like:
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/nipshield.html
    And here's some more detailed information on using a nipple shield:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...nipshield.html

All anyone ever told me to do with the sheild is get him started on it, then take the sheild off and try to get him to latch on. Is there something better that I should be doing?
    There are other things you can try, sure. Sometimes it's not as simple as taking the shield off in the middle of a feeding. Sometimes it take a little time and patience. My best suggestion is to not worry about weaning baby off the shield today. Fix any problem with latch first, and then work towards weaning from the shield.

It doesnt matter which position I nurse in he still pulls off.
    Could you try working on getting a good, deep latch and see if that helps with the pulling off? Perhaps try the football hold with him sitting slightly upright?

Yes, my breasts do get really full but I've never seen it spray.
    They get really full when? Between feedings (between every feeding)? In the mornings? When it's been longer than "x" hours?

How many total times does your baby feed in 24 hours?

On average, how many wet and poopy diapers does he have in 24 hours?

Does he get a bottle (or more) every day?

Do you pump every day? How often?

We struggled with the nipple sheild as well. I hated it, but it got us through. One thing that helped us a lot was taking baths together and having lots of skin to skin contact whenever possible. If you've got large breasts like I do sometimes it takes LO's a while for their mouths to get big enough to be able ot acutally latch on without a nipple shield. I'd suggest just using it for now, until you get other issues resolved. Have you thought of using a sling to wear him? Perhaps once you get his latching going better you could nurse him in a sling while being able to do other things with your older dc. Hang in there mama, I hope your medical order goes through for you!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    Yes, even with the nipple shield, baby should be far back on the areola. You see, the milk glands are behind the nipple. Baby has to compress the milk glands in order to get enough milk. This (non-LLL) page shows what correct usuage of the shield looks like:
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/nipshield.html
    And here's some more detailed information on using a nipple shield:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...nipshield.html

There are other things you can try, sure. Sometimes it's not as simple as taking the shield off in the middle of a feeding. Sometimes it take a little time and patience. My best suggestion is to not worry about weaning baby off the shield today. Fix any problem with latch first, and then work towards weaning from the shield.

Could you try working on getting a good, deep latch and see if that helps with the pulling off? Perhaps try the football hold with him sitting slightly upright?

They get really full when? Between feedings (between every feeding)? In the mornings? When it's been longer than "x" hours?
    Interesting. I didnt know that about the sheild, guess I've been doing that wrong too. I'll have to work on that latch first.

They get really full in between every feeding and esp. in the morning. I usually have to pump a little off first just to get the sheild on.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    How many total times does your baby feed in 24 hours?

On average, how many wet and poopy diapers does he have in 24 hours?

Does he get a bottle (or more) every day?

Do you pump every day? How often?
    Well the poop just started again and that was omce yesterday none today. As for the wets, I'd say 5-6.

He gets 1 4oz bottle of formula a day.

I pump everytime I feed. I do that because the other breast gets really full if I dont.

UPDATE:

We went to the doc today for a weight check. He hasn't gained anything and our last check was a weeks ago. The doc came in and started poking around. Asking me more questions about his spitting up. He thought it might have been Pyloric stenosis but after 2 rounds of ultrasound they kinda ruled that out.

Living on this island is a pain, there isn't a ped doc here and the ultrasound equipment isn't the best. They are sending me to see a pediatrician down in Ketchikan within the next few days.

Needless to say, the doc apologized for ignoring my concern about the spitting up problem and the weight issues when I brought them up weeks ago. He said that he wrote them off because sometimes parents can be overly cautious with these things... Turkey head. This could have been taken care of almost a month ago... Whatever at least he is listening now.

So... I guess I will just work on getting him to latch properly with the shield for now and when I get to Ketchikan they will get me in to see an LC...