Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using Pillow - hand support?

Default Using Pillow - hand support?

Hello everyone
    If you use a pillow to support your baby when you're bf, do you still have to use your arm to support baby's head?
    I have huge breasts and am able to hold the pillow and feed. But am I doing an incorrect thing?
    Should I always support with hand?
    I appreciate your response.
    Thank you

Default Re: Using Pillow - hand support?

If it's comfortable for you and baby, and baby is able to take in all the milk she needs, then it's working for YOU. That's what is most important.

I'm trying to figure out if you're saying you hold your baby on the pillow and then hold the pillow? If so, and you're experiencing latch issues, this could be contributing. Your hand would be a little steadier for guiding baby to the breast. Once she's there, you might not need to hold on (if you have a firm pillow and she's not losing the latch). Again, find what is comfortable for both of you. If it's comfortable, if it's working--don't fix what isn't broken.

Jolie
    THANK YOU!!!
    that's reassuring.
    I have been resting her on the pillow and holding the pillow.
    but i think i prefer to hold her, suuport her head, while resting my arm on the pillow. but of course there are times when you need ur hands for other things right.
    happy to know comfort is an indicator.

some moms find that if they roll up a cloth diapar and put it under their breast that helps too.
    You'll get the hang of what works for you.
    heres a good link to read.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html

What position are you using? I found that I needed to support my babies head when he was 3 and under. I used the cross cradle hold, used the breastfriend pillow and folded a receiving blanket to place under my hand, since my forearm would hurt since he would nurse for a long time. Hope this helps
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Ahhh
    Thank you all very much.
    hmm
    i use the cross cradle hold most of the time.

Remember that the cross cradle hold is the *transitional hold*. It's great for getting your baby to the breast, but not comfortable for a full feeding. Once baby is on and your comfortable, you can transition to the cradle hold (switch arms). This will make both you and your baby more comfortable.

If you're having problems with the weight of your breast resting on your baby's chin, try using a rolled up recieving blanket or towel under your breast. It will give it just enough lift to take off the pressure and will also make it easier for you to guide your breast for baby.

HTH!