Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Strike?

Default Nursing Strike?

Tonight Kayleigh was hungry and kept refusing the breasts, she cried everytime I tried to get her latched on. After 45 mins of this I gave her a bottle, which she sucked down in no time. Is she going on a nursing strike or something? not like her to refuse the breasts like she was, she absolutly did not want to nurse. She loves bf, so I don't understand why she was refusing it tonight. I know my letdown sucks but she wouldn't even latch on, so I dunno. She rarely gets a bottle but after 45 mins, i'd had enough and she was mad as heck. In 8 days she will be 6 months old, sefl weaning early? All day she kept rejecting the breasts but I would manage to get her on after 20 mins for struggling. Then she'd pull off and on constantly. I think my milk dried up in my right breasts, despite me always giving her that breast first and taking Fenugreek, nothing will come out. I need that breast working, my left breast is soo sore and still have stabbing pains. Latch is fine and everything. She's been becomming more and more stubborn with nursing, just starting to reject my boobs quiet a bit. She has her shots on July (my birthday) and a check up. I am nervous she hasn't gained much, last time she'd only gained 4oz in 4 weeks. My son was and still is failure to thrive and I am scared she will be as well. All her 0-3 months still fit perfectly and she doesn't feel or look like she's gained much.
    Last edited by PoisonousBlonde_81; July 1st, 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Default Re: Nursing Strike?

Well, first off Willie was only gaining 1 oz a week at 6 moths old and his doctor wasn't worried. But I hear you about being worried.
    Nursing strikes can be worked through, but they seem to be pretty tough on mama. Do you have a pump around?
    Also, If I remember correctly some babies refuse nursing when teething pain is at its peak. Whats your take on that?
    Can I also suggest you do a little research on thrush...I'm thinking about the pain you said you were having.

What does your baby weigh, and what are the diapers like?

Its not thrush, maybe from the biting down? She has of yet to break a tooth through. She could be at the peek, never thought of that, She's 10lbs 14oz and wet diapers are great. My son was failure to thrive and I am just paranoid she will be the same. Yes, I have a manual pump.

Right before Will got his first tooth there was this big old bump there and it seemed really ouchy. Lying down with a tooth ache makes it hurt more, can you try nursing in an upright position? If you lay on your back and sort of rest baby half on half off your chest can you get a nipple in? Works well if you have a pillow to prop up your arm. Just experiment.
    In the meantime try and mimic your babies nursing pattern with your pump. Don't forget to pump either.

I have tried to get her to nurse sitting up and she won't or laying her face down on my chest, she hates being on her tummy.

Seriously doubtful that shes self weaning. Teethiung is most likely the cause of the stirke. THey generally dont self wean until far after the 1 yr. mark. Sometimes they just aren't interested. Here's some info from LLL that talks about refusing to nurse. Cnat find the link that talks about time frame ofr self weaning.

FTR - If DS doesnt latch within say 1 minute I move on to the next activity.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the link, sounds like teething. I just tried to pump and I couldn't get a single drop to come out. I hate my milk supply.

That really is a bummer. I'm sure the stress isn't helping. Did you try compressions while you pumped? Try not to be too hard on your body, you can only do your best, y'know what I mean?

Tell y ou what - I have a fine supply and get zero from pumping too.

also - out of curiousity - what was her lowest weight and what was her last weight you know of?

Now, I know this isn't about the strike, but something your post made me think of Have you seen this link that talks about making sure baby is getting enough? If shes showing signs of getting enough, theres really no need to worry.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.