Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping and playing during eating

Default Sleeping and playing during eating

Im not surprised that a son of mine multitasks through his meals. Fine. I do too.But its getting worse instead of better. Hes always falling asleep and then wanting to eat immediately when he wakes us. He alsogets distracted and comes off a lot during eating. I wouldnt care but its painful.I dont want to rush him or anything, I just want to eliminate play and sleep during eating

Default Re: Sleeping and playing during eating

Well,
    I haven't mananged to eliminate the playing from bf, because its impossible! As they get older, the world turns all shiny and new; your baby may be afraid to miss the fun! You can try a dimly lit room with less distractions. What works for us is eating more during the later afternoon hours when the fun has slowed down.
    How old is your baby? I tried to check on your signature but the birthday wasn't listed.
    If your baby is still young, like around 2-4 mo, the pulling of and on again can be a sign of gas. It hurts so they want to nurse, but it hurts so they turn and pull with the nipple, repeat.

he is always gassy..
    what should i do to help him?

My LO (10 weeks) pulls off and on constantly too. It seems like the best feedings for us are at night (when she'll nurse nonstop). But during the day, she pulls on and off and is so fussy at the breast. I know it's not thrush (we're cured of that, thank goodness!!). I've cut dairy out of my diet and she seems to be doing a little bit better. But she definitely seems distracted while eating! I, too, value any suggestions!!!

For gas, use the mylicon gas drops, they are very safe for baby..

we did try those, but they didnt work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by babydylansmommy View Post
    he is always gassy..
    what should i do to help him?

Have you tried to elim things from your diet? The obvious (milk, soy, eggs) might make a diff with the gas.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I would suggest bicycling baby's legs, or gently pressing knees toward chest. You can also try placing baby on your thighs when you are sitting with your legs straight out, I lay Willie, across my lap face down and rock from side to side.
    Most importantly remember that all babies get some sort of gas when they are little. In the process of learning how to eliminate the gas, they do a lot of staining, and pushing. In general baby's most babies over exert while they learn the physiological mechanisms to relieve the gas themselves. You understand what I'm saying? Its not as bad as it looks, they are learning how to expel gas, its just another skill to learn!
    Once they have it figured out, they tend to stop the whole pull the nipple thing. Willie figured it out in about 5 weeks, but I'm sure it all varies from baby to baby.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Have you tried to elim things from your diet? The obvious (milk, soy, eggs) might make a diff with the gas.
    we cant eat dairy leaven glutten soy egg citrus etc because dyls allergic