Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight loss excessive?

Default weight loss excessive?

My DD was born 6/15 at 7lbs 10.4 oz. When we left the hospital she was 7lbs 5.6oz. Two days later at the ped office she lost down to 6lbs 13oz. Then a week later I took her back in and she's down to 6lbs 4oz She has plenty of wet diapers and has had no fewer than 2 muddy diapers per day. She eats every 2-2 1/2 hours and it takes us a good 30-45 min per feeding. I don't understand why she is still losing!! It's making me feel like I'm not enough for her. She sleeps well and naps throughout the day just like any other baby. The ped gave me a tube and syringe contraption to supplement formula 1/2 oz every feeding. The thing is impossible for me to make it work by myself so I've just been giving her bottles. Every other feeding I give her 2 oz of formula after she nurses. Is this normal? The ped didn't seem too concerned about it but I really don't want to give formula any longer than necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.... thanks!

Default Re: weight loss excessive?

I'm sorry I don't have any real advice for you, but I do know what it is like to worry about weight loss. My dd lost 10 % of her birth weight, and we had a week and a half of no poop after she came home from the hospital.

Just hang in there, and see if you can contact your local LLL leader for some help and comfort.

Sending you best wishes and

I'm having the same problem and doubts. My ped is seeing us Tues to reevaluate. I wish you luck as well.

weight loss is a toughy over the internet... do try and get a hold of your local leader! She can help beter over the phone then we can on-line.
    are they using the same scale? And the same ammount of clothing? or nude.
    Scales can be off! or the nurses might have writen down things wrong.

heres a great link from kelly moms
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

this one has some great hints too:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/b-pro...lk_intake.html

heres a neat clip that shows how to hand express and feed the baby with a spoon
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Hi Kayceesmom, and congratulations on your sweet baby girl! Is Kaycee her name?

The information you have shared in this thread is pretty concerning. We'll try to help you figure out what's going on and what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kayceesmom View Post
    My DD was born 6/15 at 7lbs 10.4 oz. When we left the hospital she was 7lbs 5.6oz. Two days later at the ped office she lost down to 6lbs 13oz. Then a week later I took her back in and she's down to 6lbs 4oz
    According to these weights, your daughter lost 18% of her birth weight by that second ped visit, which was well over a week after she was born. This is not normal for a newborn. Most babies will lose about 5-7% of their birth weight; we get concerned with anything more than a 10% loss. Also, we look for a baby to regain her birth weight by 2 weeks of age, as a sign that breastfeeding is going well and that the baby is thriving.

She has plenty of wet diapers and has had no fewer than 2 muddy diapers per day. She eats every 2-2 1/2 hours and it takes us a good 30-45 min per feeding. I don't understand why she is still losing!! It's making me feel like I'm not enough for her. She sleeps well and naps throughout the day just like any other baby.
    No wonder you are confused and anxious! You've done well to keep an eye on her diaper output and to take note of her general behavior. I don't know why she is still losing weight, either, but we'll try to help you sort through these confusing facts and figure out how to fix the situation.

How many wet diapers has she made in the past 24 hours? How many dirty diapers? Before she got any formula, what color and consistency were her poops?

The ped gave me a tube and syringe contraption to supplement formula 1/2 oz every feeding. The thing is impossible for me to make it work by myself so I've just been giving her bottles. Every other feeding I give her 2 oz of formula after she nurses. Is this normal? The ped didn't seem too concerned about it but I really don't want to give formula any longer than necessary.
    Rule #1 is to feed the baby. Especially when there are concerns about a newborn who is losing more weight than is normal, for longer than is normal -- it's absolutely crucial to get more calories into her. So you are definitely doing the right thing by supplementing her nursing sessions with either expressed breast milk (if it's available/obtainable) or formula.

Rule #2, however, is to protect your milk supply while the baby is getting supplemental feeds. Your breasts won't keep up with her needs if they don't get enough emptying and stimulation during this time. Do you have access to a good double-electric pump? The best pump for increasing/protecting your milk supply would be a rental pump; the next best thing would be your own double-electric pump. Let me know what your pump situation is, and then we can talk about when and how to use it.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the tube/syringe contraption (is that a supplemental nursing system?) It's good that your pediatrician knew to support breastfeeding by advising you to avoid artificial nipples, but it's not so impressive that s/he didn't help you learn how to use the contraption first!

I urge you to find a local lactation consultant with the IBCLC credential after her name. IBCLCs are the most qualified experts on helping mommas and babies solve breastfeeding problems that are more complicated or serious than the run of the mill. Of course the most important thing is that your baby eats enough to grow and thrive; working with a good IBCLC will be your best bet for also protecting your breastfeeding relationship in the process.

Hang in there. Many mothers here have had worse beginnings in their breastfeeding relationship and have gone on to nurse successfully and happily for a long time. We will help guide you to reliable information and sources of support while you and your baby girl overcome these hurdles.

I had the same problem with my daughter. She weighed 6lbs 9oz at birth and when she was 24 hours old she dropped to 6lbs 2oz and by day 5 she was up to 6lbs 8oz and at her 2 week check up she was 5lbs 14oz. She was jaundiced at day 5 and bf wasn't going to well at the time. Is it the same scale everytime your lo is weighed?
    My dd and I went through so much until she was 7 weeks old, come to find out her mouth was to tiny and wasn't opening all the way.
    I agree with contacting a lactation consultant.
    Congrats on your baby and it will get better for you, hang in there.