Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need encouragement... a little overwhelmed and worried about back to work

Default need encouragement... a little overwhelmed and worried about back to work

DS is 3.5 months and I'll be heading back to work full-time in 2 weeks. I am getting so worried about it. There is a lot going on in our (my) lives - DH is in the military and usually has very long hours and short deployments, so I do the baby care and house work. I will be continuing my slow work towards a masters degree through an online classe. I know that I'll be able to handle things, but mostly I am worried about how the increased busy-ness will affect my milk supply, especially since I'll be pumping.
    How do other working & pumping Moms relax enough to produce milk? I'm so worried that going back to work will severely decrease my supply. Any suggestions??

Default Re: need encouragement... a little overwhelmed and worried about back to work

I think the important thing (and its so hard to follow this advice as a new mom, trust me I know!) is to stay relaxed and try not to stress. I am sure you know that when under stress you can have a decrease in milk supply. I really dont have any ideas on how to stay relaxed-maybe make sure the days are organized and less chaotic when you are at work, and that you have a reliable person (your husband?) watching your LO while you are gone, so you know they will be well taken care of. I know from experience that when under stress, it can happen to have a decrease-I got bad news one morning and i was so stressed about it by the end of the night, I couldnt pump hardly an ounce at night. I wish you luck when you go back to work, and take care!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Default Re: need encouragement... a little overwhelmed and worried about back to work

's to you! It is hard trying to juggle everything. And there are times that I am over stressed & have a hard time pumping. But what has helped me is making my pump breaks my own "special" time. I know it sounds crazy, but it is the only time I have to myself. It also helps me stay connected to DD during my hectic day. I go & lock myself in, drink a glass of water, put my feet up & relax. If I start to get tense, I take deep breaths. It may take a while to get used to it, but hang in there! It is worth it. Best of luck to you! HTH

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Can't agree more on staying relaxed. i'm going back to work next week, and for the last few days i've been 'training' myself to keep more office-like hours, like no sleeping after 7am, and things like that. But still, the thought of how i'm going to cope with breastfeeding Yuheng and keeping a full time job still has me worried, so much that i've stressed myself into mastitis!

As for keeping my supply up, i'm going to take my trusted pig trotters soup once a week. The soup really works! For the recipe, do drop by here:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=22973