Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mommy and Baby are both very gassy...help!

Default Mommy and Baby are both very gassy...help!

My little guy is only 3 days old and so far nursing has been going okay, but I do have a few questions and hope someone can help me out ... I am very gassy and I think I am making baby gassy too. Is it okay for me to take Gas-X and nurse? Or should I just give my little guy some mylicon drops after feeding?

Also, I have been trying to nurse every 3 hrs, but baby doesn't seem to be too hungry. He will suckle for about 10 minutes and fall asleep. Other times he will nurse for 30 minutes....and then at the next feeding will not even be interested. I try to wake him up....tickle his chin, take off his clothes...but all he really wants to do is sleep. Should I be concerned? We have a Dr's appt tomorrow, so I will check with the pediatrician then, but I would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Mommy and Baby are both very gassy...help!

I don't know the answer to the gas questions, sorry. I would ask your dr tomorrow.

As for sleep, little babies tend to be very sleepy. I was nursing DD every 2 hours until she was 2 weeks because she had very high jaundice levels. To keep her awake when she wasn't interested I scratched the bottoms of her feet and ran a wet wash cloth over her forehead. If he has enough wet/poopy diapers then there is nothing to worry about! (3 wet on day 3, 4 wet on day 4) See this from kellymom.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMommy View Post
    My little guy is only 3 days old and so far nursing has been going okay, but I do have a few questions and hope someone can help me out
    Sure! That's what we're here for.

Congratulations on your new arrival!

I am very gassy and I think I am making baby gassy too. Is it okay for me to take Gas-X and nurse? Or should I just give my little guy some mylicon drops after feeding?
    Here is the lactmed (http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT) listing for simethicone (Gas-X):
    "Summary of Use during Lactation:
    Although no data are available on the use of simethicone during breastfeeding, it is known that simethicone is not absorbed orally. Therefore, it cannot be transferred to breastmilk. It is also used safely in breastfed infants.[1][2] No special precautions are required."

Your gas would not be causing your baby's gas. The gas in your intestines can't travel into your blood (and thus into your milk). However, newborns are notoriously gassy as their digestive systems are immature. As long as your baby doesn't seem uncomfortable, there is probably no need to treat it.

Making sure that your baby is latched on well will help with gas. You might also find that burping helps, as well.

Also, I have been trying to nurse every 3 hrs, but baby doesn't seem to be too hungry. He will suckle for about 10 minutes and fall asleep. Other times he will nurse for 30 minutes....and then at the next feeding will not even be interested. I try to wake him up....tickle his chin, take off his clothes...but all he really wants to do is sleep. Should I be concerned?
    How many wet and poopy diapers has your baby had today?

I would suggest LOTS of skin to skin contact (baby stripped down to diaper, you topless, blanket over both for warmth).

To keep your baby interested at the breast, you can try breast compressions when he starts to drift off to sleep or the sucking slows. Here's a description of how to use this technique:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    There is a link to videos that show you how to do the technique near the bottom of the linked page.

If you're concerned about your baby's intake (or the diaper count seems low, he seems sleepy, ect), you could try hand expressing your colostrum/milk onto a spoon and supplementing your feedings with what you collect. Here is some information about colostrum (including visual images of baby's stomach capacity):
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html
    And here is a (non-LLL) video that shows one method of hand expression (note: some of the information is geared towards mothers who are separated from their babies, though the overall message is fitting for any mother):
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

We have a Dr's appt tomorrow
    Do let us know how it goes!

I had a gassy baby, and lots of moms I know have had the same issue. I had to watch my diet in the beginning because dairy upset my little guy, so eliminating those foods for about 3-4 months helped.

My baby was hard to burp and he would strain to go poop for the first few weeks. His gas would get trapped somewhere in the middle, making it really hard for him to get comfortable. Placing him on his back and bending his legs up to his belly helped. He also seemed most comfortable relieving his gas on his changing table. I am not sure why, but placing him there helped calm him and relieve himself all at the same time. His gas seemed worse at night so I used the gas drops before the night feedings so that we could get our much needed rest.

I realized quickly that my MER was very fast, and I think that contributed to his gassiness. So when I felt the letdown I would put my hand over the breast that he was not nursing on and apply pressure until the tingling went away. Once we figured out how to slow the milk down it helped tremendously.

Even though the days may seem long enjoy it because that precious baby will grow before your eyes. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow!

Happy Babymooning!!!!

welcome to the forum...!Things will get beter as your mature milk comes in.
    heres a great page on getting breastfeeding off to a good start
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

be shure to check this one out too
    it talks about what to do if you get engorgement, thats common in the 1st 4 days or so.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

let us know how your doctors appointment goes.

My son was pretty gassy in the beginning too. I think its just their little digestive systems trying to keep up. I would not give mylicon to an infant that young...but that is just me. We tried it a few times when he was older but one day it seemed to make him worse and he hasnt had it since. Has your milk come in yet or is he just taking colostrum right now? I think with colostrum I did like 15 mins a side. Gosh its amazing how quickly I forget what it was like that early on. Once my milk came in I also had to do things to keep him awake. I found that if I let him sleep then I was nursing him every hour to two hours...and it took him an hour to nurse til he was about 6 weeks. To wake him up, I wet wiped his face...I'm so mean, but it worked! Then he would go for three hours which is alot more manageable. I also find that I am more gassy since I had the baby. And it does seem to be that we get gas at the same time. It can definitely be related to what you eat. I kept a food jounal for a long time and saw how different foods affected us. I have to be careful to keep variety in my diet - like I cant have pizza for lunch and pasta for dinner. Anyway hope the appt goes well. Let us know.