Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In tears...scared of baby waking up

Default Re: In tears...scared of baby waking up

Oh, I'm so sorry! There are some qualified ladies around here who can help, but beyond that, let me suggest this: Try your best to relax. I had troubles with pain early on because we'd gotten off to a rough start and had done some damage before we got the hang of it. I know it's really hard, and hard to hang in there when your hormones are going all nuts, too. But the more you relax, the better you can deal with this problem and figure out a solution--and the less tense you and your LO will be, which will make nursing easier too. I hope you find some relief soon. Hang in there, mama, you're doing great!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

OK...looks like Jolie is with me on this...what a great mommy you are to keep it up in spite of the pain...I don't remember the initial latch on pain stopped but it did eventually..pp is right about meds use them if you need them! It really sounds like the pump which is good news in that you can fix it with Jolie's help! Good luck!

Hi Jolie
    She's on a burp break.
    Between breathing and my husband applying pressue to my arm, the pain wasn't as bad as it was this morning. though the right breast is worse than the left. now i'm feeling a slight discomfort on the left breast from which i just nursed.

I used an Avent manual pump this morning.

I don't have cracks.

but my husband just observed that my left nipple is slant which suggests she may be hanging on to the top more than the bottom. sigh.

let me say though that i have very, very large breasts with large areoli. i also had flat nipples early on but my dd has managed to pull them out. i thought i was doing so well.

no pain until this morning........................................... .........

she's asleep now.
    (I thought I posted this before but don't see it so am writing again)
    The pain was not as bad as I feared. But I was doing the breathing, as well as my husband was applying pressure to my arm. So I don't know if those made it bearable
    It appears that the left breast does not hurt as much as the righ. whew!!

my husband just asked about the uneveness of my left nipple and wondered if that had anything to do with the soreness.

There is sllight redness around the nipple.
    But the latching area for dd is very small since my breasts are soooooooo huge. (my breasts are three times my normal size which is a DD).

But as I said, today was the first this is happening.

I use a manual pump. Today was the first time I was pumping. I've been bf on demand. But woke up with breasts feeling very full and dd was sleeping so i thought pumping would have been a good idea. sigh.

ohhh,
    please forgive my double posting.
    just getting used to this website
    how wonderful everyone is.
    THANK YOU.
    Thank you Jolie.

Am I correct in understanding that the pain is lessening again? You're such a good mommy! All the ladies on this site are so caring and wonderful! Hopefully Jolie will be coming back soon to give you some suggestions on how you can pump better.

my thinking is in line with a pp - I had A LOT of pain after I pumped and then I discovered that I needed a larger phlange (sp?) b/c my nipples are larger than average...i hope it gets better for you soon!

<<<my thinking is in line with a pp - I had A LOT of pain after I pumped and then I discovered that I needed a larger phlange (sp?) b/c my nipples are larger than average...i hope it gets better for >>>

Yes, that was also the case for me. The symphony kit comes with a 24mm breastshield. I had to order the 30mm size. There is also a 36 mm size and a 27mm size. I think the Medela website said the 24 mm size does not meet the needs of a lot of mothers.

I would say that either 1) You weren't able to see where exactly the pump positioned, so the pump was placed a little "off" or 2) The breashield is too small for you. Most pumps offer different sized breastshields, but I'm not sure that the Isis does. In fact, I'm pretty sure it does not.

Here is a link that shows how a breastshield should fit:
    http://www.medela.com/newfiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

If you need to remove milk and pumping is too painful, I would suggest trying hand expression. Here's a link to the Marmet technique:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    And here's a link to a video that outlines another technique:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Thank you all once more for your support
    hmmmmmm, you're right about the size of the phlange (i've learnt a new word). I think i'll try to continue manual expression.
    I fed again, since I last posted and thankfully it wasn't as bad as this morning. The latch hurtquite a bit but once she began to suck it wasnt so bad.
    Although I braced for the latch I tried to relax as soon as i could (humming nursery rhymes . I hope today's hariness hasn't affected the flow of milk.
    thank you.