Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In tears...scared of baby waking up

Default In tears...scared of baby waking up

I actually visited the LLL website out of desperation and signed up for this forum because I'm sitting here in tears dreading my 3 week old's waking up.
    I have been doing very well with breast feeding. I woke up this morning and felt pretty full and slightly uncomfortable. So because dd was sleeping I decided to pump some milk. This was my first time pumping. I got 4 ounces. which for me is a whole lot. I was so excited. then my daughter woke up adn i decided to bf her. My god. I was met with the most excruciating pain, i just cried. I yelled and my husband came running upstairs to see what happened. sigh. my nipples are sore and i am scared. i've seen where all the posts said it would go away but i still have 12 hours in my day and will need to feed her at some point. I gave her the expressed milk at the second feeding. but that's almost all gone and when she wakes up she'll be pretty hungry.
    Sorry about this long post but i was totally frustrated with feeding my first daughter despite my initial enthusiasm. I failed at that and had to give her formula.
    This time around, for number 2 I was determined to get it right. I met wiht a lactation consultant who showed me the right techniques etc. I couldn't believe (based on my experience with first born, now two years old) it was possible to breastfeed without pain. I was enjoying it and telling everybody how well i was doing.
    Now this. I feel so scared and deflated.
    sorry to be venting.
    i guess i just need to hear it a whole lot that it will be okay. i have seen that on other posts but it just made me cry because i'm going through this awful pain now.
    i had my nipples out to air dry and rubbed some milk on them...but walking around with the nipples hanging just led to spots on the floor from dripping milk. so now they are in my bra waiting fearfully for the little one to wake up.
    sigh.
    Thank you.

Default Re: In tears...scared of baby waking up

Oh, honey, Big to you!!! It will get better!! I promise. Make sure she latches on correctly and hang in there. In the beginning, I would curl my toes and roll my eyes back in my head when AJ would first latch on. Honestly on week 6 it all came together. I pray it comes together for you before then. Stay calm and breath when your LO wakes up to eat. Be gentle with your girls. If you're nervous, your LO will pick up on that and will not be as relaxed as she needs to be. Big to you again. You can do it mama!!!!

What do I say? I'm sorry it's so hard for you right now. How long have your nipples been hurting? I'm wondering because you said you've been doing well. I know what you mean about the drips on the floor . I think I read in a post just yesterday that a poster had sore nipples because of using her pump incorrectly. If you could tell me a bit more...are your nipples cracked and again how long has this been going on....I'll wait for your post.

Ouch!

Let me be sure that I understand the problem. Your baby is three weeks old. She has been nursing great. Nursing has been pain free (different from your first experience). You used a pump, and your nipples are now sore. You are afraid to nurse because the pain is so intense. Is that correct? If so, may I ask what kind of pump you used (brand, model, electric/manual)? And how long did you pump? Are there any visible marks or cracks?

Thank you
    Thank you for your reply.
    Actually. Today is the first time this is happening.
    The first time. And I think it may have to do with the pump.
    Usually I get a little discomfort when she latches but after a few sucks its all fine.
    but this morning.
    yikes.

its ok to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain.

awwww
    thank you for the hugs. i'm reallya ccepting them now.
    thank you

she's awake now........aaarrgghhh
    I'll go make myself comfortable and app;y the breathing techniques i learnt during Lamaze...............sob
    and she's very hungry

The pain started after you pumped, then? What kind of pump are you using?