Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorment.. 2nd pregnancy

Default Engorment.. 2nd pregnancy

Hi, I had my baby girl last Thrusday and by the next day I started feeling the feeling that my milk was coming in. I stopped breastfeeding my son a year ago and I assume 2nd pregnancies milk comes in quicker. My question is about engorgement.

I am using cold compresses if the feeling is too bad, and I am feeding the baby frequently (every 1.5 to 2hrs). Last night my breasts got worse, very hard and sore. Today I am feeling a bit better but still pretty uncomfortable.

Is there anyting else i can do to help with engorgement? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Will this last as much as with my 1st baby? (lasted 2 days or so..)

Thanks! here's hoping I can get into the good, painless breastfeeding soon!!

Default Re: Engorment.. 2nd pregnancy

Here's an old trick that helps with engorgement: tuck clean, cold, refrigerated cabbage leaves into your bra. The cabbage leaves are supposed to contain some sort of chemical compound (not a dangerous one) that reduces engorgment. I tried it, and it did help me. At the very least, the cabbage leaves are somewhat cup-shaped, and fit around the breast more naturally than an ice pack does. HTH, and good luck with breastfeeding your new arrival!

cabbage

Here's some helpful info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Thank God for Cabbage.. tried it and it feels sooo good! More refreshing than cold compress.. I hope it helps..

I would take a hot shower and hand express a bit of milk, and just let it drip! Then nurse as soon as I got out. The shower helped me feel more human, and the "leaking" helped ease engorgement. You can hand-express a bit too if you're not leaking initially.

Have you heard about reverse pressure softening? Won't help the engorgement, but helps baby to get latched on. I wish I had known about this with the first. Be careful with warm compresses and hot showers...use them sparingly, and only before nursing for 15 minutes or so. Then follow up the nursing session with the cabbage and cold. Get lots of rest, too, if that's possible!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

reverse pressure softing saved my boobs with my dd...
    Its realy more about the fluids in your body then the milk.
    When you have lots of Ivs at birth it takes a while for that extra water to leave your body.