Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fast let down, blockfeeding, and pumping

Smile Fast let down, blockfeeding, and pumping

My daughter is 6 weeks old and my fast let down has led to some major problems the past 2 weeks with her. At first, I thought she had reflux and the doctor's have given us medicine for it, but now I'm beginning to think her problems have more to do with my fast let down and oversupply. She displays many of the symptoms including the fussiness that has gotten worse in the last 3-4 days. My question is this: I've tried the blockfeeding every 3 hours for more than a week now and that doesn't seem to be enough time. So I'm going to up it to 4 hours, but how do I know it's working? Also, how does blockfeeding work if I am needing to pump milk for when I'm at work? Do I pump the same breast she just fed on?

Thanks,
    Jen

Default Re: Fast let down, blockfeeding, and pumping

Sorry for the question, but are you pumping in addition to nursing full time? I mean to say, are you working yet? How much pumping are you doing?
    Can you feel it right before you have a let down? Any symptoms of tingling or pinching so that you could pop baby off the breast before the let down?

Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to some answers as I seem to be dealing with the same exact thing. Actually she is still on Prevacid for the "reflux" but I think her tummy hurts from the OALD. I also am wandering how much pumping should I try to do now to get the frozen supply up for when i return to work.

I have not gone back to work yet, so I'm still nursing full time. I will occasionally pump a bottle or two if I am going to be away from her for a few hours. But now when I pump, I don't pump as much milk as I used to before I started the blockfeeding. I'm just trying to figure out how I can balance the blockfeeding with being able to pump enough milk when I need to do so.

Ah ha! So the blockfeeding is working basically. You wanted to trim back on your over supply, and now you have done it. A loose average of women don't pump much milk while they are nursing full time. Getting a few ounces a day on top of nursing full time is excellent. How many ounces are you pumping during the day?
    A side note to you is that the amount of milk you have have nothing to do with your let down reflux. Some people just have a strong gushy let down no matter what. So if you are attempting to blockfeed your way out of OALD, think again! That was why I asked you if you could tell when your milk was about to let down...

Quote Originally Posted by Jen80 View Post
    She displays many of the symptoms including the fussiness that has gotten worse in the last 3-4 days.
    Could you clarify the fussiness you are seeing?