Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did your premie start solids?

Default When did your premie start solids?

Hi all. I posted a similar question in the starting solids section, but wanted to know what everyone here did. I had my son at 34 weeks. He is now 6.5 months old actual age, or 5 months adjusted. He can't sit up on his own and hasn't developed a pincer grasp yet, so I haven't started him on solids, not even rice cereal (much to my family and pediatrician's dismay). I know I am doing the right thing (I think), but I am curious how long other mothers of premies have waited to start their babies on solids.

Sarah

Default Re: When did your premie start solids?

Well I waited until mine was 6 mths adjusted (she was 15 weeks early) but she just wasn't ready then, so I tried in a few weeks and she wasn't ready. Basically she was around 12 mths adjusted before she could handle solids, she couldn't even have a bite of her 1st birthday cake I would defintely wait until the adjusted time, and then reassess on if you think your baby is ready. Really isn't a huge rush to start solids, so take your time.

Our babies must be about the same age. They will not be 6 months adjusted until the third week of July. Our pediatrician actually recommended that we don't begin solids until then, and then only if they show signs of readiness. They both are sitting up and using their hands fairly well. I think Josiah will be ready, as he is reaching for all of our food and watching intently as we eat, even opening his mouth as we are taking bites. Sophia, however, isn't interested in what we are doing at all, and still thrusts her tongue forward even when she gets medicine. Follow your instincts, even some preterm babies aren't ready for solids at 6 months.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

My DD started solids at 6 mo adjusted and loved them -- we did BLW . DS is 10 mo's adjusted and barely eats solids. At 4yrs DD eats anything we offer wo difficulty. My preference is to follow the baby and forget the numbers.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

My dr said to start at 6mo actual. If baby can't hold head up or grasp, I wouldn't start. Can he sit up in a Bumbo chair-can he sit up with support? If so at 6 months you can try!~
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

My son was born at 33 weeks, and my doctor had us start rice cereal at 4.5 months..he wasn't ready yet so we tried again at around 5.5 months and he did a bit better, he is now 8 months and has been eating anything we offer for a good month and a half. He is sitting up on his own and is using his hands well, watching us eat and gets highly irritated when daddy doesn't share his freezie....hope this is of some help to you.

My 28 wkr started solids at 6.5 months adj and LOVED it. I waited to be sure he was ready, and believe me, he was more than ready, but every baby is different. i made a big deal of it, but I have been very careful with everything we did with him, so why would this be any different?! He LOVES sweet potatoes! I think most importantly,, follow your baby, and if it isnt working out, hit the pause button! have fun, dont stress too much

My dd started at 6 months. She was born at 33 weeks. We followed her cues. Everyone wanted us to start her sooner, but I knew she wasn't ready. She is almost 7 months and just now really starting to get the hang of eating. I think she was ready at six months, but she would open her mouth to take the bite and then do her little blowfish noises and spit it everywhere. I think she was just trying to be cute. I think the lo will let you know when they are ready.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

my son was born at 32 wks. he is 7 months old now and i think i am going to start him today...maybe. he is starting to reach for our food when we eat so i am thinking maybe he is ready. i am not sure! he can't sit up only weighs about 11 lbs so it is really weird to start him on it but he does grab for our food so i will see how it goes. i am nervous he will choke on it! he seems so interested in our food though so i think it is time- i am going to make all his food at home with organic so i will know exactly what he is eating. i am not at all opposed to waiting though... he is just seeming ready... i think it is me that isn't.

DS was born at 34 weeks too, but my docter doesn't say anything about adjusted age. He told us to start anytime after 4 months, but I waited until 6 months. DS still isn't ready though. He might take 2 bites a setting. I'm thinking about waiting until he gets the pincher grasp (he sits up good.) He'll be 7 months next wed.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel