Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overnight trip

Default overnight trip

Hi. I have to make an overnight trip out of town and am two minds about leaving baby behind (with grandparents) because am uncertain whether there will be enough breastmilk for baby. I will most probably be away for at least 24 hours. How does one stock up enough milk for that length of time? Baby is drinking on average every hour during the day (except during afternoon nap which is about 2-3 hours) and about 2 - 3 hours at night. Do I actually need to prepare about 24 packs of milk of about 3 oz each (baby is 3 months old)? This seems overwhelming along with the emotional feeling of guilt having to leave baby so young (I know it is just overnight but it is the fist time I will be away from her). would really appreciate some advice on this. thanks

Default Re: overnight trip

Hi newmum,
    It can feel overwhelming to think about leaving your little one for any length of time. Do you have any other options? Can grandparent(s) or another caregviver come with you? Would it work for them to care for baby while you did what you needed for your trip, then you could be with baby overnight?

Mary

That was my original plan but since the trip involves flying out one day and back the next and staying in a hotel I thought the whole thing might also be a bit too much for a 3 month old baby. I also feel nervous about taking baby on a crowded plane. That's why I started to look into the option of stocking up on breastmilk and leaving her behind. Do you really think it is too much to leave her for that long and to be drinking from the bottle for 24 hours... might it interfere with the bf?

Well, the choice it up to you, of course. It sounds like you are trying to balance a few things:
    • The stress of a busy trip with the stress of you & baby being apart
    • Interrupting breastfeeding (pumping milk and bottle-feeding) temporarily with taking the baby on the plane (Exposing her to germs; is that your concern here?)

Little ones are quite portable. And usually they are most comfortable when they are with their most familiar caregiver (mom! ).
    Maybe others can chime in here with how they have traveled with their little ones and how it's gone for them?

Mary

Hi,

Before we took our then 3-month old on a plane for Christmas, people told me that young babies are the easiest to travel with since they aren't interested in moving or exploring very much. The trip itself is kind of like going anywhere with a baby--it takes longer than it used to and you are carrying more stuff than ever before.

It sounds to me like a lot of effort for a trip out one day and a return flight the next, especially since there are so many germs on planes. It would depend on how long the flight is though--in your shoes I'd seriously consider bringing the baby if the flight was 2 hours or less (provided you had someone to help take care of the baby while you were working).

I don't think you'll need to prepare 24 3-oz servings of milk for 1 day. The kellymom website says that babies the age of yours drink (on average) 25 oz. total per day. Here is the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

I hope this helps a bit!! Good luck!

Yes, I guess I need to figure what I'm most comfortable with... I still have a few weeks to work it out. The link to kellymom.com was also very useful... thanks so much for responding so quickly and for the advice. this is a really great forum. I've been reading some of the other threads and they are so useful. what a great support group! you'll definately be seeing more of me here ;-)

tash
    newmum to reia (7.3.06)