Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should letdown be painful?

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Should letdown be painful?

I was just wondering. This is baby #3 and with 1 and 2 I breastfed but not for very long because of different reasons but with both of them letdown never felt painful. It was just a pins and needles kind of feeling that didnt hurt but didnt feel wonderful eithier but with this one it HURTS. Its still a pins and needles type feeling but it really really hurts and I've noticed that it seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes by. Is this normal or could something else be going on?

Default Re: Should letdown be painful?

Not answering your question (sorry don't know) BUT wanted to respond to your "No we aren't done yet" I just had number 4 so I hear ya! That is what everyone says. That and my second and third have 8 years between them so some people assume I've had two husbands! Nope all four from the two of us! The more the merrier!

Hi! So I'm wondering in in addition to the discomfort you are feeling, you see any nipple blanching? White tips on nipples? Read up on Vasospasms here and then if that fails to ring any bells go look up some information on thrush. You may have a yeast problem that needs attention.
    hth

How would you describe the pain? Do you feel like you have a lot of milk?

I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of milk simply because poor LO sputters and gags and everything else when the milk starts coming. As far describing the pain I would just say its an EXTREME pins and needles feeling, like when your foot or hand falls asleep and then starts to "wake up" again only its much much more painful. When LO was first born it was just slightly bothersome but not painful really but it seems to be getting worse. Honestly sometimes I dread feedings
    and I really really dont want to feel that way!!!! Going to read up on the vaspo thing suggested by the pp!!

I dont have experience with it, but I have read about moms who do have it on here, but maybe check out having over active let down (OALD) Maybe someone who has it could chime in. Im just wondering if it causes a more painful letdown on top of the milk coming out so forcefully which might explain your little one sputtering. maybe check into that as well?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I remember that when Will was tiny and new I had discomfort during the first part of my letdown.
    Did you look up any information on thrush? Pins and needles.... ok. Really painful, and getting worse, check for thrush.

I had thrush when I was breastfeeding baby #2 and it was awful. Honestly pain wise this is comparable but I dont have the constant white nipples...sometimes they do turn white but it never stays that way and baby has no white spots in his mouth and he doesnt mind nursing one little bit! I dont know...its not something I cant deal with I'm just a little worried that it could signal a problem

Have you had anyone check your latch? If you are having white nipples it could be a sign that you latch isn't deep enough. As you said it was getting worse it could mean that the skin of your nipple is being abraded; its extremely important to preserve the integrity of your skin. If mama's not ok, nobodies ok. Where is the closest LLL meeting around you?

I have no idea where the closet LLL is to me...is there somewhere online I can figure that out? I was wondering about the latch...hes got a bit of a blister under his bottom lip but in the hospital they said he was latching fine and it still looks the same. I dunno....sleep depravation does nothing for my brain power