Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colic?? sorry its long!

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Question Colic?? sorry its long!

Okay, My LO is 3 weeks old and up until about a week ago was perfectly happy.
    But now he has been having screaming jags were he cries for over an hour at a time, most generally when I nurse him he will stop the crying and it seems to comfort him but this means that at times he is nursing every 30 minutes when I know he isnt hungry! This is my third child but I've never been able to breastfeed past 5 months. With my first one she just wouldnt nurse and didnt gain weight so I pumped and fed her the pumped milk but I ended up drying up after about 5 weeks and with #2 I didnt have enough milk after 5 months so we had to start supplementing with formula I'm DETERMINED that I was to breastfeed this one atleast a year but he is a small guy (he was 5 10 at birth but so far he is gaining great, he was 7 pounds 1 oz at his 2 week check up) and I'm worrying that he might not be getting enough so he isnt satisfied.
    BUT, I know I have milk! I leak fairly often still and at times he will pull off the breast and milk sprays everywhere and he has plently of wet diapers.
    Honestly, If I knew that putting him on a bottle would make him stop crying I'm to the point of doing that and I really dont want to stop breast feeding!
    Last night he pretty much cried from 11:30pm till about 5 am. I so dont want to quit. I know breast milk is by far the best and I always felt guilty about giving the bottle to the other two when I couldnt nurse. Any ideas anyone??
    Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Colic?? sorry its long!

Have you checked with your pediatrician? My son was diagnosed with reflux and colic at that age, and he was exhibiting a lot of the same symptoms. We started him on anti reflux meds and it made a big difference. He was still fussy, but not in so much pain. And breastfeeding was a lifesaver - yes, it meant that really all I did was nurse all the time, but it was the one thing that ALWAYS worked to calm him.

I called the ped yesterday and they said it sounded like colic.
    He really doesnt spit up much or he hadnt until he started nursing non stop and today he has been spitting up. I'm so pooped I seriously am not sure what to do!
    Between the no sleep factor and trying to spend the day with my older two children, i'm just pooped lol. The somewhat good news is that the baby has actually slept most of the morning!!! I might try calling the ped and asking him what i should try!

DS had colic. It started at 3 weeks and continued until about week 9 or 10. He would cry from 8PM to midnight or 1AM. At first I didn't recognize it was colic. I thought it was my supply (which tends to decrease at night) and he was hungry because nursing was the only thing that helped stop the crying. I pumped in the morning and saved a bottle of BM to supplement the BFing at night. The extra BM didn't do much except give us a bit a little break from the crying. We then realized it was not a supply or hunger issue but just colic.

Babies on formula can get colic too. Don't stop BFing. Don't lose your confidence in BFing. It is not the cause of colic. No one knows why some babies get colic while others don't. Plenty of women who BF do not have colicky babies and plenty of women who feed bottles have babies with colic. I recommend reading the Happiest Babby on the Block for suggestions. Try white noise, swaddling, or bath to help calm the baby during crying spells.

What I did was nursed as long as I could tolerate then DH and I took turns trying to calm DS with white noise, bath, swaddling, etc.

I tried giving him some pumped milk at about 4am and he DOWNED 5 ounces and then screamed more so I really dont think its a supply issue but right now I'm just not sure! I did learn this morning that he loves the sound of my hair dryer lol we might be turning that on at night now! Oh and I called the ped and they wanted to see him so we are going in this afternoon!

With the screaming and constant feeding, I'm voting for reflux. Breastmilk is a natural antacid, and usually reflux babies only feel better while they are eating. Of course this leads to overeating, and then screaming from the reflux. They don't always spit up a lot, sometimes it's "silent reflux". My LO has reflux (which I thought was mild), but we started her on Zantac at 2 months anyway and OH MY the difference. Unbelievable, it was like a new baby. Hang in there!
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My LO was colicky and BOY was it difficult! Those early, dark days were very, very difficult. I had a c-section, arthritis/psorasis flare up, constant BF, thrush, and a baby who screamed from 8 am-1/2ish at least 4 times a week. I was sooooo stressed! All of my friends had "perfect" babies who slept, ate, pooped, and didn't cry. Only those brave women who had colicky babies understood me. I excluded things from my diet, only found that the combination of cheese and sauce, made my nights even more miserable. I just kept BF, no meds, and around 3.5 months, my son evolved into a happy boy! Colicky all gone!
    Just hang in there, IT DOES GET BETTER! Everyone kept telling me that and it really aggrivated me at times, but they were right! To you
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

3 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt too.!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    My LO was colicky and BOY was it difficult! Those early, dark days were very, very difficult. I had a c-section, arthritis/psorasis flare up, constant BF, thrush, and a baby who screamed from 8 am-1/2ish at least 4 times a week. I was sooooo stressed! All of my friends had "perfect" babies who slept, ate, pooped, and didn't cry. Only those brave women who had colicky babies understood me. I excluded things from my diet, only found that the combination of cheese and sauce, made my nights even more miserable. I just kept BF, no meds, and around 3.5 months, my son evolved into a happy boy! Colicky all gone!
    Just hang in there, IT DOES GET BETTER! Everyone kept telling me that and it really aggrivated me at times, but they were right! To you
    Oh yeah, we gave him mylicon twice and gripe water. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but he seemed a tiny bit better with gripe water. He was significantly better, he still drove us CRAZY!!!!!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!