Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do jalapenos effect breast milk?

Default do jalapenos effect breast milk?

I was wondering about this.

Default Re: do jalapenos effect breast milk?

My guess is that they probably do. I know when my grandfather's cows would graze on spring onions, their milk would taste oniony. I think that a baby's first introduction to different tastes is through her momma's milk... Why not try a post-jalapeno milk sample and see? I'm very curious to know the answer myself!

Strongly flavored foods will somewhat alter the taste of breastmilk.
    But, there is a reason for this, and an advantage to it. Basically, babies will develop a "taste" for the foods you're eating. A mother who eats more strongly flavored foods is more likely to have a young child who also enjoys strongly flavored foods.

I guess I just don't want to risk causing too much hot & spicy. She's been fussy lately and I don't want anymore trouble. I don't know how this works...I've read alcohol works it's way out of your system...I guess it would be the same with a "flavor". How long would that take though. I mean if I ate something hot and she refused to nurse when would I be likely to get rid of the taste? Also...would it affect her bum?

It's unlikely that "hot" would get into your milk. Spice (like garlic or curry), maybe. Heat, no. Think of how you can smell garlic on your breath (or other places ) if you eat a lot of it. It's because it traveled through your system, right? But, heat doesn't travel through your system. Like, you don't eat peppers and then your urine burns on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    It's unlikely that "hot" would get into your milk. Spice (like garlic or curry), maybe. Heat, no. Think of how you can smell garlic on your breath (or other places ) if you eat a lot of it. It's because it traveled through your system, right? But, heat doesn't travel through your system. Like, you don't eat peppers and then your urine burns on the way out.
    TMI below:

I don't know if I agree with that. I know some people complain that bowel movements "burn" on the way out after spicy food.

My LC said it takes 6-8 hours for a particular food to work its way into your milk. (Oh, shoot, or was it 8-10? Sorry, can't exactly remember.) Although Dr. Sears says baby can react to a food within 2 hours after you consume it.

Anyway, if I notice Haley seeming to be unusually fussy (although that's hard to tell sometimes) or gassy or spitting up more than normal, I try to count backwards and remember what I ate in case it's something that's a potential "fuss food." Large amounts of dairy does it to her quite often.

I'd say if you notice a potential reaction, you could try cutting out that particular food for a while and see if there's a difference. It can take 2-3 weeks before you notice the change, though, so it takes some patience.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My Baby seems to like when I eat garlicky or strong flavored foods - tho my milk looks a little funky Yellowish and what not. Funniest thing was when I had some real Kiebalsa - next morning I woke up sniffing wondering if the cats managed to get ahold of a piece. I smelt kielbasa! Nope - DS had a blowout and he smelt JUST like dinner

I have found - onions give DS gas - last couple of nights I have listened to a heckofalotta firecrackers going off in that crib

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. I know some people complain that bowel movements "burn" on the way out after spicy food.
    Well, of course! The peppers went in your mouth, so of course, they come out your arse. That's TOTALLY different than it passing into your blood (thus into baby's milk and make the milk "hot").

There are SOME molecules in food that can pass into the blood, but not all can. I'm fairly certain that heat from hot peppers cannot (or else our skin would be on fire everytime we ate them!).

HTH!