Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Laxative drops?

Default Laxative drops?

Hi, my 4.5 month old did not have bowel movement in the last 2 days. This is something new for us because he has been very regular so far (2-3 times a day). I was wondering if it is ok for me to give him baby laxative drops. I am not sure exactly what the effect will be. If anyone has experience with this, please share with me. He does not sleep well as well because he is gassy.

Default Re: Laxative drops?

It is normal for older babies to slow the frequency of bowel movements. Is your babe still EBF?

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

You might try some Hyland's colic tablets for the gas if it makes him very uncomfortable. It worked better than mylicon drops for my babe!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Yes he is breastfed exclusively. I know that it is ok to have fewer bowel movements but I feel like this is what makes him sleep less, eat less and be gassy. I thought that breastfed babies should be preety regular...

My kid would go as far as 5-7 days in between poops. I was freaked in the beginning but he eventually got into a rhythm. Every 5 days we would have a HUGE blowout. Breastmilk is digested more so as the intestines develope more they are absorbing more. Once he gets on solids you'll start seeing him pick up to once or more a day. I really would avoid any type of "laxative" as it can cause GI upset and possibly dehydration if your LO has a strong reaction to it. Just my opinion though. If AJ seems like he's got some gas, I give him the simethicone drops and they do good for him. HTH.

Thank you very much! I guess we are going through normal stuff. I am going to avoid the laxative drops because I am not sure how strong they are going to be.
    Thank you again...

I just wanted to add this page from dr sears, it has realy good info on it.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp