Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

Default Re: Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

Jo,

Yeah, I'm glad you said that (about suing). I had responded before I fininshed reading, just was so appalled. Also appalled with the mom who's baby was given a paci without her consent with the note (remove paci before returning to room). Where the hell are these people going to nursing school??? I went 13 years ago and we knew this stuff (nipple confusion and avoidance of bottles and formula and pt. consent) and I hardly paid attention during my Mother/Baby rotation, just wasn't my thing at 19/20 years old...

I don't understand baby leaving the room. They did the hearing tests in our room, the pediatricians came to the room every morning, the neonatal NP examined them in the OR. Why do *some* hospitals still have nurseries? I thought rooming in and no nurseries was the norm. We live in Florida. I had my son 10 years ago in California and he never left either except for circumcision and my husband went with him.

Rachel
    mom to Evan,10
    Renee Nicole and Claire Olivia 6/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by rachelntwins View Post
    Jo,

Yeah, I'm glad you said that (about suing). I had responded before I fininshed reading, just was so appalled. Also appalled with the mom who's baby was given a paci without her consent with the note (remove paci before returning to room). Where the hell are these people going to nursing school??? I went 13 years ago and we knew this stuff (nipple confusion and avoidance of bottles and formula and pt. consent) and I hardly paid attention during my Mother/Baby rotation, just wasn't my thing at 19/20 years old...

I don't understand baby leaving the room. They did the hearing tests in our room, the pediatricians came to the room every morning, the neonatal NP examined them in the OR. Why do *some* hospitals still have nurseries? I thought rooming in and no nurseries was the norm. We live in Florida. I had my son 10 years ago in California and he never left either except for circumcision and my husband went with him.

Rachel
    mom to Evan,10
    Renee Nicole and Claire Olivia 6/20/07
    I'm on a local mainstream parenting e-mail list, and a recent question was what 'tips' does everyone have for a new mom about to have her baby in the hospital. I was the first to respond, and I said something about making sure baby is always either with you or your DH. Well, an overwhelming majority of the responses back recommended sending baby to the nursery as much as possible, so mom can get her "rest." I was appalled! I responded saying rooming in was important for breastfeeding and bonding and what not, and everyone else said their babies were brought in every 3 hours or whatever to eat, and they felt better because they had gotten rest. OMG. I didn't sleep for over 100 hours, from being in labor to then delivery, then nursing a baby 24/7, etc. And y'know, somehow I did FINE. I felt great, actually! I cannot imagine shipping my baby off to the nursery.
    Actually, the hospital I delivered in had a nursery, but they'd talk you out of sending your baby there if you asked. I asked my nurse what the nursery policy was, and she said they really only take babies there if it's a 3+ baby birth and mom just can't handle all of them right then. Or, if mom had an especially traumatic birth(more than a c-section) and legitimately needs extra recuperation. And I never, ever saw a baby in there while I was in the hospital, so that was good.

I have to say that having a nursery is important we need the area to do: circs, crash cart, hot bed, MD assess if they wish (more equipment handy, otoscope etc). We have also needed to have a place for a border baby (this is the name given to the type of rooming for a baby that is not accompanied by mama (ex. would be if mama had a bad bleed and goes to higher level of care, or mama is adopting baby out). So there are reasons for a nursery.

There are definitely things that can be done to help convey your message and have your wishes respected. Again, key thing some one should be with your LO at all times. Have a birth plan, put a love message on the crib "No bottles, or binkies, I'm learning how to breastfeed thank you!", and again, keep baby with you. If you do send baby to the nursery for the night on demand feedings, you have the right to go and spot check in to see what's going on with your LO.

It could be the area that I live in, but many of the parents send baby because they are so exhausted and would like a second to breath, I get that. (Have to also admit that we have many that make me question why they had children if they are only going to hand them over to the nanny ...whole other topic though!)

I personally was bullied by my co-workers after I had Mason to send him to the nursery the first night . I know they meant the best for me, but I just wanted him with me. I was in the bed with a Foley, IV and epidural still in place and it was already a huge deal to have him in the "well mama and baby" unit. Esp. with him being almost 6 weeks early and grunting so they really did need to keep an eye on him. He was all mine the second night

As far as the sign on the crib-boy I would have been spitting fire! As the nurse and as the mama!

If you notice that things don't feel right, they probably arn't trust your gut, it's usually right.

I was happy with my hospital experience. They had a little card in DDs bed that said "My mommy is breast feeding. No bottles or pacifiers for me" They also encouraged rooming in. The nursery was completely empty. DD stayed with DH or I at all times. They had an LC available 24-7, have a phone # to call an LC is you are having problems, and have IBLCL(? did I get the right letters) available for home visits. Also, all of the nurses were extremely supportive of me. They shared their breast feeding stories when they come into my room, asked me how it was going, etc. And they all told me they heard what a great job I did in labor. (I think they 'heard' because I was moaning throught my 14 hours of natural labor!) I expected to have to fight with them on some things but there are so many competing hospitals in this area that they really want to give you what you want for your birth, not what they want. Of course, they still had policies... they had to use fetal monitoring every once in a while and made me get a heplock in case I needed meds later... but it was a hospital---

Next time I want to have a home birth. I probably would have this time if I realised what kind of birth I wanted earlier in my pregnancy.

Yeah, that makes sense about special needs having to go to a nursery, mom excessive bleeding, and other reasons. The only reason I could do it is my husband was there rooming in with us to hand me the babies and change diapers, etc. When I was in Okinawa a few years ago, I was in a hospital with one of those big nursery windows and all the babies were lined up propped with bottles. I was horrified. Since then I have bragged about how much better we do for babies (and nursing) in USA. Guess we still have a ways to go....

Talking Re: Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

Rachel (noodle) --which hospital and where is it? I would love to contact them and ask for their written policies to use as an example....and maybe find out what type of training and motivation they use for their staff......

Morton Plant Mease Countryside in Safety Harbor, Florida. They have at least two LC on staff that I met, and the staff is completing some kind of intense training in breastfeeding. Patients can go back to the hospital and meet with lactation consultants after discharge and there are bi-monthly bfing support groups. They rent symphony and lactina pumps and supplies. The nurses I had were awesome. It was so great to not be separated from the babies from the OR to Recovery (which was our room.) I asked if they would go to the nursery while I was in recovery and they smiled and said no they needed to be with me to get fed...I was told they don't have a nursery for well-babies. They do the water births and have lots of prenatal/bf classes for moms and dads (mostly all couples) and pumping class for moms. I enjoyed that babies stayed in the room with us, they were born at 5:44 pm and we have such special memories of that night, family got to see them and then the four of us got to know each other under watchful eyes of nurses. I think they do about 200 births a month, the lullabye played 5 times the morning after they were born, it was hopping... I think parents deserve to see all the fun stuff, the weighing and bathing, etc. Hope you get some good information of their policies. When I found out we were having two, I changed my OB to go to this hospital because of the NICU but ended up appreciating it for other reasons.

oops, sorry that was for (noodle), I need to read more carefully. Glad there are so many bf friendly hospitals that believe in LC, educating nurses, classes and support, and keeping families together....

Quote Originally Posted by kungfufugirl View Post
    Rachel (noodle) --which hospital and where is it? I would love to contact them and ask for their written policies to use as an example....and maybe find out what type of training and motivation they use for their staff......
    It is St. Luke's Hospital in Allentown. (They have a much bigger teaching hospital in Bethlehem PA) They also gave me a huge binder with tons of resources explaining all of their policies early in my pregnancy. Maybe they could send you a binder? It has all of the policy information from the mom's standpoint. The website for the "birth center" is http://www.slhn-lehighvalley.org/body.cfm?id=16 (I wouldn't really call it a 'birth center' because it was actually a secure floor of the hospital.)

We also spent many mornings (2 weeks!) going for bilirubin tests at their larger hospital and had hearing tests done at an outpatient clinic. Everyone on the staff was great at all the facilities. They were great when I forgot my insurance cards, have valet parking (when we were getting daily bilirubin tests), and really made me feel like they were there to help us and make annoying tests and insurance forms just routine. I am very resistant towards 'traditional' American medical practices. And they really shocked me with how helpful, kind, and accepting everyone was.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelntwins View Post
    oops, sorry that was for (noodle), I need to read more carefully. Glad there are so many bf friendly hospitals that believe in LC, educating nurses, classes and support, and keeping families together....
    I am glad that more and more women are having good experiences in hospitals! Glad to hear that you had a good experience too!