Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

Angry Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

My friend had her baby by c/s yesterday at the local hospital. First, the fob (her husband) had to go
    in and demand that they bring the baby to the recovery room so she
    could bf him--when he did this her nurse "quit" them and they got
    assigned to another nurse. She was insisting that the baby stay in
    the nursery until after the first bath and then go out to mom once
    she is out of recovery. (This is their usual routine.) The nursery staff was very put off by the family's request and were quite rude. At least the FOB was prepared
    for this (by my forewarning) and went in and demanded they bring the
    baby out lest he do it himself.

THEN--since the lo was only 6 1/2 pounds he was getting blood sugars
    done. One of the results was 34 so they gave him formula by bottle
    without any consultation or notice ore even a warning to the parents
    whatsoever. Mind you.....knowing this hospital like I do---as well
    as I do--I warned her to be clear with them about her feeding
    preferences upon admission, which she did--and quite assertively I
    might add. She exclusively bf'd her last child and planned to do so
    with this one. Still the nursery nurse took the liberty of giving
    the formula herself. OMG WTF!!!!! He wasn't even symptomatic!!! How
    about retesting--or maybe drawing a serum glucose on an asymptomatic
    baby before sticking a bottle in his mouth?????
    And shouldn't she still have a choice?? What kind of formula or how
    to give it (finger or cup feed versus bottle)???? Or maybe she
    might have wanted to be the one to give it! After all--she is the
    MOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent---but I still don't feel any better!

AAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

~jo

Default Re: Hospital Overstepping It's Bounds....(vent)

That really does well for a lack of a better term suck! I hope they are both well.

o how the joys of homebirth become even more apparent after I read stories like this
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

This is why I TOLD my OB when I was pregnant that no matter what, regardless of circumstances, either myself or my husband would be with the baby at all times. No exceptions. And we were.

That's TERRIBLE. :mad

I would suggest she write a STERN letter to the charge nurse, doctor, and the hospital administrator.

She might want to include the AAP's policy for hypoglycemia in neonates (which I was unable to locate the new version of online--boo!). Here's the policy from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine's policy (it does refer to both the AAP and WHO policies): http://www.bfmed.org/ace-files/proto...poglycemia.pdf

Absolutely NOTHING is to be done to someone elses child without their consent. That totally pisses me off. Like PP said, write a very stern letter to the hospital including names of those that were rude and those that went against your wishes. There is no excuse for them going against your wishes.

That's exactly why we refused to let Haley out of our sight for a single second. Every time they wanted to take her to the nursery to see the ped, DH went with her. (We could've been real pains and refused to let the ped check her anywhere but in our room, but we decided to give a little, take a little! ) With each shift change, when we had to tell a new nurse that we weren't letting her take our baby out of the room without one of us going along, we got some surprised looks. No one was rude, but I could tell they weren't used to having to accommodate that type of request.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I actually encourage moms and dads to come with me to the nursery to see the weights and assessment being done, this gives me a chance to review diaper changing, cord care, swaddling, burping or anything that they might have a question about. It also gives mama a chance to get up and walk. I encourage anyone who is having or knows someone who is having a baby to be there to advocate for your LO, (not only for saftey of ensuring that formula wont be given), but it sometimes we forget to ask a question and that way you can ask it while the assessment is being done.

That happened to me with my first. I didn't know anything about breastfeeding. I had a c-section and did not get my baby until I was out of recovery. By then, they had already given him a bottle. I could never get him to latch on and wound up giving up a week later.

The last two births were done at a different hospital. I loved how the hospital was so focused on helping mothers who want to breastfeed. In fact, it is their policy not to let the baby out of the parent's sight once born. I had a planned c with my third and as soon as she was born and cleaned up, I was holding her within 15 minutes, nursing her within 30. The hospital doesn't even have a nursery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadjia View Post
    That happened to me with my first. I didn't know anything about breastfeeding. I had a c-section and did not get my baby until I was out of recovery. By then, they had already given him a bottle. I could never get him to latch on and wound up giving up a week later.

The last two births were done at a different hospital. I loved how the hospital was so focused on helping mothers who want to breastfeed. In fact, it is their policy not to let the baby out of the parent's sight once born. I had a planned c with my third and as soon as she was born and cleaned up, I was holding her within 15 minutes, nursing her within 30. The hospital doesn't even have a nursery.
    Sorry to hear about your first experience glad things went well with your others. I have noticed that more and more hospitals are starting to "room in" which I is the best thing for mom and baby. Our hosp. only offers the nursery at night and I encourage moms who want to BF to keep thier LO's in room or to send to the nursery on demand, meaning when baby is ready for mama, they go back. I also right on the crib or report sheet that baby is not to have any form of supplementation. Posting a note on your LO's crib is a good idea, but it is still best to be with them at all times.