Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction and milk supply.

Default Induction and milk supply.

I was wondering.. can being induced before you're ready impact your ability to nurse and/or your milk supply?

I've had problems since the get go with my DD (now 6 weeks old). She has a great latch and a strong suck (says two LC's) but we've still had our share of issues. Now, at 6 weeks, we're learning that my supply may to be blame.

My induction was LOOOOOOOOONG and almost resulted in a section because of my lack of progress. It then took almost a week (milk came in the night before her 1 week "birth day"), which I was told by one LC was a long time. I had no engorgement when it came in, it just sort of appeared (I noticed milk on her lips one time while nursing).

I've been working SO HARD this past week to increase my supply, some days staying in bed with her all day and just letting her nurse, nurse, nurse. I've tried pumping after a feeding, between feedings, pumping on one breast while she nurses on another, and just when I think I've made some of improvement she goes back to having a poor diaper output (as little as one wet diaper in a 24 hour period!).

I've been looking into this possibility (link between induction and milk supply) all weekend and haven't really been able to find anything. I was told early on in my pregnancy that I would likely end up with a section and was told that, that might effect my breast feeding, so I have no idea. I was later told, (after 31 hours of labor) that I wasn't ready yet and that they should have waited a few days. They also told me that my due date MUST have been wrong, and that her estimated gestation was 36 weeks, not 39.

Default Re: Induction and milk supply.

I don't know if there are studies documenting links between too-early inductions or difficult births and breastfeeding troubles.

But it is clear everywhere we look that many medical interventions in the childbirth process do carry risks of interfering with breastfeeding.

I'm wondering ... have either of your LCs discussed the possibility of retained placenta with you? Sometimes a fragment of placenta doesn't come out, and the resulting hormonal confusion can cause very low milk supply. I'm not sure, but I believe this is something that could be ruled out by a fairly simple test. Following Occam's Razor, if you've got a baby who is nursing well but not stimulating adequate supply, retained placenta seems a likely cause.

It must have been infuriating to learn that your baby's gestational age was 3 weeks younger than expected, and that the whole ordeal of induction might have been avoided. As inductions and scheduled cesarean births become more and more common, this less-than-ideal outcome of a too-young newborn is also increasingly common ... with accompanying complications in breastfeeding and neonatal health. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    It must have been infuriating to learn that your baby's gestational age was 3 weeks younger than expected, and that the whole ordeal of induction might have been avoided.
    It wouldn't have been avoided, just prolonged. They tried to do it at a time when they thought my body was ready, but judging from the whole ordeal it's clear that I wasn't.

I have a blood disorder that required me to be on blood thinners (hence the big baby at an early gestational age) so that is why I was induced - to time taking me off the thinners with labor (being on them while in labor could have been bad). Next time, though, I will flat out refuse a chemical induction. I would take the risks over another repeat of last time.

What are the symptoms of a retain placenta, other then hormonal problems, which manifests in many different ways. I did have a 3rd degree tear that required surgury to repair, but everything after that seemed ok (no excess bleeding or anything).

I have a list of things to discuss at our next appointment, I'll put this on it. Thanx.

Well I was induced and I had a two week LOOO..ong battle (one of the hardest times of my life since I really really wanted to breastfeed) to get my little one to start nursing, partly because my milk did not come in for atleast a week after my induced delivery which ended up in a C. But do not lose hope - my ds is a year old and is still nursing. The hard work you put in won't go waste. All the Best!

I've been searching online for about 30 minutes now and haven't found a useful description of how retained placenta fragments are diagnosed and removed. Are you still having any postpartum bleeding?

I did find various personal stories of how mothers have coped with chronic low milk supply. There's one here on the LLL site that I hope will help you with the emotional aspects of this struggle:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun05p108.html

I'm hoping someone here or on the supply issues forum will chime in with more helpful info than I can provide this evening. Hang in there -- you're doing a fantastic job under very difficult circumstances.

--Rebecca

That sounds like such a difficult experience! You didn't say how old the baby is - I can't help but think it will get better, especially because you're so determined and because you're doing all the right things to seek out help! I'm sure other ladies here will be able to give you some advice. I just wanted to say be strong, you're doing great and I know it will get better for you.

I have not been privy to any information surrounding induction and it's negative impact on milk supply. But if we look at how milk production works, then no, an induction should not have any sort of affect on milk supply. The first 48 hours or so after birth, milk production depends on hormones. After that, milk production depends mostly on breast milk removal (or supply and demand). Actually, this page might help explain it better than I can: How Does Milk Production Work? (not a LLL source)

Are you taking any medications? If so, it could be that the medication is impacting your supply. How did baby do after she was born on your colostrum alone? It has only been recently that you have had to supplement, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    Are you taking any medications?
    Yes, I'm on heparin (blood thinner) but am only supposed to need it 6 weeks post partum. I need to make an appointment with my OB this week for my 6 week check up, and hopefully, if my blood tests are good, I won't need to take it anymore. I've researched the indications for it, and to the best of my knowledge it's not supposed to impact milk supply/breastfeeding.

How did baby do after she was born on your colostrum alone?
    She was jaundiced and late in passing meconium, which the pediatrician was slightly worried about. It also took her a long time (can't remember exactly without going back and looking in my diary) to have her first pee.

It has only been recently that you have had to supplement, right?
    Within the last two weeks, off and on. I supplemented the week before last before really working on improving my supply, so we stopped, and when I thought things had improved it turned out that she was not getting enough again (not enough wet diapers) so I had to supplement again.

I try to only supplement when I know she needs it (like poor diaper output), as opposed to her just wanting a bottle. Although, she has been really good about returning to the breast, and has so far, knock on wood, shown no signs of nipple confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    Are you still having any postpartum bleeding?
    Nope. In fact, I only bled for about 2 and half weeks (sorry for TMI).

From what I understand, heparin is not absorbed by the stomach or intestine, therefore it's not excreted into breastmilk. Given that, I wouldn't think that heparin could cause low milk supply.

What kinds of breast changes did you experience during pregnancy?