Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let Down

Default Let Down

I have a 6 week old baby born 7lb 7oz. He is now 11lb 2oz so I know he is gaining well. I was wondering though if it is normal to have more than one let down per breast per feed? After he latches on he sucks for a minute or so and I experience a let down. He then sucks vigorously until getting one suck per swallow for about one minute and then slows down to a few sucks per swallow. This lasts about 2-3 minutes. He then lightly sucks without swallowing for several minutes until I have another let down. This repeats about 2-3 times per breast per feed. In a 20 minute period on one breast he is really only getting milk about half the time. It takes about 40 minutes to feed him and then will want to eat again in an hour & 1/2 to 2hours. Is this normal?

Default Re: Let Down

Totally normal! He is getting milk between let-downs, though the milk comes faster during.

Your baby is gaining weight beautifully!

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Question Re: Let Down

Thanks for the reply. Though I am still wondering if I will ever be able to feed him in 1/2hour or less. I am feeling like all we do is nurse all day. Its pretty exhausting. My sister-in-law was able feed her son in 20 minutes.

He will get there. He will probably go back and forth-one time he will feed for 5 minutes, and another time it will be 25 minutes. My son is this way depending on how active and awake he is (he is almost 6 mo). Does he fall asleep everytime he feeds?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I second what Heather said. They get more efficient at nursing and eventually don't take as long. Haley is satisfied usually in 7-10 minutes but sometimes will go longer if she feels like it. She's gotten especially efficient at night. She tanks up in about 7 minutes and goes right back to sleep. Give him some time; he'll get it soon enough!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, he usually falls asleep in the middle of feeding, although if I take him off he often wakes up to eat more or to use me as a pacifier.

P.S. It is totally normal to have multiple letdowns. Your LO controls the flow of milk by the type of sucking he does. And it's very normal for him to want to nurse frequently at such a young age. At 6 weeks it's common to have a growth spurt, during which you'll notice he eats more (quantity) and more often. It can definitely be exhausting, but hang in there. It will get easier. In the meantime, put your feet up, grab a good book or the TV remote, and just expect to be tied to your LO for a while. (I found that if I just expected it, it was easier to be ok with it.) Try to think of this as something you do WITH your LO and not just FOR him. That makes it easier too. This too shall pass!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?