Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infection or not??

Default infection or not??

Yikes, last night was a HARD night on all of us, not much sleep, etc. I woke up and my tummy was bothering me a bit and it is again this morning, but probably from lack of sleep. Anyway, I woke up and my right breast had leaked a lot (I didn't nurse on that one last, she wouldn't take it) and anyway, it was very full. Once I started pumping from it, it got very warm feeling and still feels warm. Is that normal? I haven't had this before and have been nursing for six weeks. Should I continue feeding off that breast for now or will it hurt her? Should I pump and dump milk from that breast? I would assume the other breast is DEF okay to feed from. TIA for any help.

Default Re: infection or not??

Inflammation can cause a breast to feel extra warm. If you are experiencing the beginnings of mastitis, frequent nursing is really important. You want to keep the milk moving through the breast so it won't get engorged and further aggravate the inflammation. The milk from the inflamed breast is still safe and healthy for your baby -- there is no need to pump and dump.

Hope you aren't getting sick! Keep a close eye on things and listen to your body.

Default Re: infection or not??

thanks