Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast engorgement...again?

Default Breast engorgement...again?

Has anyone had an issue with engorgement reappearing again after the initial phase when the milk comes in? My son was born 4 weeks ago and we have settled into a feeding pattern of every 3 hours for about 15-20 minutes each side and everything is going well. Yesterday my left breast was very sore and now today is completely engorged again and I have noticed the right one is following the lead. We haven't cut back on the feedings so I am not sure why my body is suddenly stepping up milk production. I've even had to pump after the feedings just to releive the pressure or else they felt like they would explode! I know he is eating because I am still changing the wet and poopy diapers. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Emily

Default Re: Breast engorgement...again?

I ended up with an oversupply issue somewhere around 4 or 5 weeks. I don't know how it happened, really, other than that the boobs just wanted to make milk! I wasn't pumping or doing anything else to stimulate production, other than feeding on demand. Then, when Haley started sleeping longer stretches at night (right around 5 or 6 weeks), I would end up engorged at night. I am no expert, so I'm not going to be much help, but is it possible you're in the same situation as I was, that maybe your body's just getting a real good supply built up from all the great nursing and it's a little more than what you need?

You can, of course, pump or express a little bit to relieve the pressure. I've also heard peppermint tea can help slow down the supply a bit, although I wouldn't use that unless you're really sure it's an OS issue. Otherwise, you could have a whole other set of problems! And there's also block feeding if you think that would help. You might want to look around on kellymom.com. Lots of good info there.

I know it's uncomfortable, and I don't have any great answers other than to say hang in there, because you will eventually get regulated. (I am told it takes a while to get regulated, even when you're on a pretty regular schedule with feedings.)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Nature is crazy sometimes I guess, that does sound like it could be the same thing. Oh well, I wanted a "just in case" freezer supply anyways, now is my chance!

You gave me hope with the comment that your little one started sleeping longer at 5 weeks. My husband and I are getting weary at our son's clock like timer every 3 hours!

The only thing to remember about OS is that the more you stimulate milk production (by nursing or pumping), the more you will increase your supply. This is fine if baby is nursing more frequently because he's helping your body know what to provide for him. But if you want to pump for a freezer stash, just know that you will be encouraging and maybe even increasing your OS. You might want to be careful how often you pump, especially if it's a "just in case" stash and not because you'll be going back to work.

I do hope your LO starts sleeping longer for you. I'm sure you've heard around here that every baby is different! I've seen a lot of ladies saying their LOs didn't sleep longer until they were much older. We've been very fortunate in that department. You might start noticing changes in your LO's sleep pretty soon, though, even if it's not hugely different. Babies' sleep is constantly changing, especially through the first 12-16 weeks. (And "the books" say that nighttime sleep is the first to regulate.)

Do you co-sleep? Have you tried nursing while lying down? If you're finding yourself exhausted, you might want to consider some form of co-sleeping (either a bassinet, a co-sleeper, or a sidecar crib arrangement) so that you can get more rest while nursing.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?