Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching sides

Default Switching sides

Baby Girl is 10 weeks old and still only eats from one side. At night she has got to where she will sleep for 4 hours at a time. This is very uncomfortable on the side she did not nurse on last. Any ideas on how to get her to take both sides at each feeding? Thanks.

Smile Re: Switching sides

Some babies only take one side per feeding and as long as she has enough output (6-8 wet diapers and 1 bm/day) this is fine.

Maybe you could pump and freeze from the other side . . .

If you don't care to pump and freeze express just enough that you are comfortable to help prevent mastitis

Default Re: Switching sides

As long as your baby is showing all signs of getting enough to eat:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html , she need not be encouraged to take the other side. My best suggestion is to express *just* enough for comfort and get some rest!

My little one never took both sides at a time, (until she was a toddler and they were not very full). For the first 18 months she only took one side at a time and usually only nursed for 10 minutes, sometimes less. I used to get full and leak off the oposite side, but with time my body adjusted. She was happy and healthy with one side at a time.

Haley goes anywhere from 6-8 hours at night and only nurses on one side when she wakes. (And I only made the mistake of trying to get her to take the other, very full side once. We refer to it as The Great Spitup Incident of 2007.) I was definitely uncomfortable when this started! But I can tell you that only a week later, my supply is starting to regulate for nighttime nursing, and I'm much less full (and much more comfortable) at night now. While we were adjusting, I would let the other side drip or do some expressing while she nursed, just enough to relieve the pressure. Give it some time. It'll even out soon.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My LO never took both side either. Your body will adjust as long as you don't pump off the uneaten side. If you are pumping, you are sending a signal to make milk every session, if you don't your body will adjust. Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

My 8-week-old only nurses off one side, too, and now she's starting to go longer between feedings, especially at night. I've always had way too much milk to begin with and the side she doesn't eat off of does get pretty engorged and uncomfortable. Since I've had mastitis a few times, I try to hand express or pump just a small amount out of the full breast to relieve pressure and avoid a plugged duct. My body seems to be finally adjusting.

I also tried to get her to nurse off the other breast a few times but also ended up getting soaked when she spit it up (poor thing spit up so much so quickly it came out her nose!). The advantage to feeding off one breast is you're more likely to empty the breast and get more hind milk out.

Quote Originally Posted by maydaymom View Post
    I also tried to get her to nurse off the other breast a few times but also ended up getting soaked when she spit it up (poor thing spit up so much so quickly it came out her nose!). The advantage to feeding off one breast is you're more likely to empty the breast and get more hind milk out.
    Me, too! We've had several incidences of milk coming out the nose, poor thing. And then she gets lovely milk boogies afterwards.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks gals. I think we solved the problem during the day. Daytime she started taking both sides. And she's been waking up more at night too. Ever since she went and got her two month shots she has been taking both sides in the day. And waking up every 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at night. Sometimes I think we're never gonna get the hang of bfing.