Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much?

Default How much?

Okay I ebf my DS, when I pump, and give him a bottle, how much should I give him or should he be taking? lol I don't want to waste any, so how much should I put in a bottle? If he's had enough he let's us know but of course nursing, I have no clue how much he gets lol
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: How much?

When we first offered DD a bottle, she was about 6 weeks old. We offered 3 ounces to start and then went from there. If she wanted more, we warmed a bit more. We still pretty much do that same thing only now she's taking a minimum of 5 ounces and then going up from there each time. You may also find times when your DS will only want the initial 3 ounces but then other days (like when hitting a growth spurt) where he'll want a lot more. It's all just trial and error...
    HTH!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

so basically just play it by ear lol ty
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

It's a highly variable thing depending on baby, mom, mom's milk supply, baby's temperament, hunger at the time of feeding, age, time of day, the phase of the moon...(ok, I made that last bit up!)

But all this to say there are a number of different variables that affect how much milk a baby might take. Many moms find an easy way around this is to make up a number of smaller-quantity bottles, so that there is little waste.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

Karen
    LLL Leader, IL

You might try starting with just two or three ounces and then going from there. It REALLY can vary greatly. I posted previously (in another forum) that DD is going through a phase where she really prefers the bottle over the breast (she just tends to nurse before nap times, nighttime and in the morning). Today I was away a lot running errands so she was with DH and she took in a total of 40 ounces plus she nursed a few times when I was here! I think she was making up for yesterday, Grandma was visiting and you know she was too busy gurgling at her to be able to focus on something as trivial as eating! LOL.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

thanks for your input everyone

it's not a huge concern anyway, DS really seems to prefer the breast, which is fine by me I love our time
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC