Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, not enough weight gain....

Default Help, not enough weight gain....

I stopped by my lo pedi for a weight check. It was the same scale as she is usually weighed on and she'd only gained 4oz in 5 weeks. The chart I read on kellymom.com said she should should be gaining that much in a week! My dd just turned 5mos.

Help! I thought she was nursing better. Now I'm worried. She has had a cold for a couple of days, but it hasn't seemed to affect her nursing very much. How worried should I be?

Default Re: Help, not enough weight gain....

Ok, 1st of all....how much does your baby currently weigh??? How much did she weigh at birth?? How many wet diapers per 24 hours?? I know she did not gain much....but at least she did not lose weight...... Keep us posted...

She was 8lb 12oz at birth. She was 15lb 13oz at her 4mo checkup. She weighed 16lb 1oz today. I think she's been having about 5-6 wet diapers, 1 of which is really wet because it's a morning one...the rest are average to lightly wet. I've noticed they have been a bit light yellow the last few days, instead of clear. I've been trying to feed her about every 2hrs, and at least once in the middle of the night.

Ok, so technically they like her to double her birth weight by 6 months of age. You mentioned she's 5 months old..so that would put her at 17 lbs. 8 oz by 6 months(if I did the math correctly). She's currently 16 lbs. 1 oz so she needs 1 lb 7 oz to reach the goal of doubling birth weight by 6 months. I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like you need to be worried. Also, you never know what are babies are going to do, she may start eating up and put on the weight. If she has a cold, she may have reduced appetite, drinking less milk and therefore yellow urine. It can't hurt to see the LC, also your dd may be nearing a growth spurt..my dd was born 1/26/07 and it feels like she's going through a growth spurt now. Although my dd is a peanut, I only wished she weighed 16 lbs!!!!!!!!! Good luck and keep me posted

Thanks for your encouraging words. I know it seems silly for me to worry when she seems big, but since she seems to be falling off her curve I can't help it. She's been fussy for the last month and I've been worrying (darn it I knew she wasn't gaining) but we seemed to be back on track and I was just starting to relax a bit. I just have to be diligent. My lo was born 1/23/07! Thanks again.

any solids?

No. DD is ebf. I wasn't planning on intro. foods til at least 6mos maybe longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyF View Post
    Thanks for your encouraging words. I know it seems silly for me to worry when she seems big, but since she seems to be falling off her curve I can't help it. She's been fussy for the last month and I've been worrying (darn it I knew she wasn't gaining) but we seemed to be back on track and I was just starting to relax a bit. I just have to be diligent. My lo was born 1/23/07! Thanks again.
    The weight gain charts are good and bad. Good because it allows us to track progress, but bad when we get too wrapped up in the numbers. And remember, there is a growth spurt around 6 mos so your LO may just be getting ready!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user