Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike -- help!

Unhappy Nursing strike -- help!

My 8month old daughter is refusing to nurse. She has never had a bottle (refuses it) or a cup. She does eat soilds (cereal and fruits-n-veggies about twice a day); this has also decreased with the strike. We are a day and a half into the strike. Her wet diapers are decreasing. I have begun to pump to alleviate my discomfort. I smelled and tasted the milk -- it seemed fine.

When I offer her the breast she latches on for a few seconds and then lets go and turns away. There is nothing different about my diet. She did cut her first two teeth about three weeks ago; but I do not see anymore coming in. Her disposition has been ok today -- though she seems to be a bit less energetic.

I tried to go in and nurse her when she was sleeping -- but she refused.

One of my other children (I have six & all have been breastfed) was sick earlier in the week with a 24hr bug. I suppose my 8 month old could have the bug (but she is not visibly sick like my other child was) and that could be causing this strike?

Is there anything else I can try? With her not taking a cup or bottle, I do not seem to have many options at getting her to eat. I want to keep her hydrated.

Thanks for any insight.

Kristin
    Mommy to Grace 8, Gabe 6, Ann 5, Dawn 3, Mike 2, & Rose 8m

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Nursing strike -- help!

Oh dear, that sounds rather difficult! Maybe she would accept milk via a dropper? This might sound funny, but I'll throw it out there anyway: what about a turkey baster if other droppers are too small for her solids? Best of luck. Hope all goes well!

Smile Re: Nursing strike -- help!

Kristin,
    I know how you feel! My DD is 9 mos today, and last week, she refused to nurse! I was devastated until I spent some time reading on this forum. Apparently it is normal at this age. Mine is also showing a preference for the bottles that she gets from the sitter. Finally, this weekend, she started nursing again. I guess the worst thing was that I was unprepared for this. It started when she bit me, so I thought it was my reaction that had messed things up...I screamed and scared her. Anyway, hang in there! I'm sure things will return to normal soon! Let me know how things go!

My daughter is still not nursing as much as normal ... but it is better than it was back on Saturday. I can't force her to nurse -- so I'm just trying to offer like normal. When she does nurse, she won't take both sides. Her wet diapers have been much less.

How long do these strikes last ? This was our 4th day (although she did nurse some -- she still refused many of our normal times).

Thanks -- Kristin

Has she started nursing at night again? My DD never stopped that, but she did not nurse while awake for about 7 days! Hers was related to nipple preference, or so I thought. Maybe it's just something that they do at this age! Either way, I know how miserable it is for you! Mine has passed and I am sure yours will too! Hang in there and keep me posted!

Well -- a week out and Rose is almost back to her normal nursing pattern. Here is something interesting that happened on the strike. She started crawling. I know I read somewhere that sometimes it is thought that a strike may preceed a developmental milestone... well it did for us. She is still a bit off in the middle of the daytime. She does not nurse well before her nap. But she is mostly back to normal. Glad to be improving!