Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby doesn't "end" his own feeding

Default Baby doesn't "end" his own feeding

I have tried and tried to be patient and wait for my newborn to take himself off the breast during a feeding. After 25 minutes, I typically take him off myself and place him on the other breast and take him off that side at 25 minutes. He has never (in six weeks), taken himself off. He will simply fall asleep and I have to take my breast out. Most mom's I spoke with say their newborns stop anywhere from 7-15 minutes in each side. What is my guy so hungry?? (just thinking how wonderful it would be to have my guy eat for 7 minutes each side )I don't have a milk supply problem, as a matter of fact the lactation consultant (who told me just to take him off after 20 minutes) said I have a fine supply and also diagnosed me with OALD. What constitutes he is finished if he isn't blatantly pulling himself off of the breast?? Please help!!

Default Re: Baby doesn't "end" his own feeding

Maybe I should have put this in the breastfeeding Support- whoops..
    I am a newbie at this.

Babies love to feel close to their mamas, some more than others. Some babies have a really strong sucking reflex, which it sounds like yours does. When my ds was that age he was on the breast ALL the time. I couln't be gone for more than ten minutes, it seemed like he was hungry all the time.

But I promise you it does get easier, my ds is now four months old and has become very efficient at breastfeeding he is now usually done in ten minutes on one side!

It may seem like your feeding your son all the time but appreciate this time, which it sounds like you are! It's good for your milk supply and you're meeting your babies needs. My son will still like too comfort suck esp. at night, there is nothing wrong with taking your baby off once they are fed and sleeping.

Babies are all different, like us, so what maybe normal for someone else may not be normal for our child and vice versa.

It sounds like you're doing a great job. Hang in there!

Jessica

As pp says, it does get better! My dd is now just over 7 mos and she nurses 2-3 min on each side, but at 6 weeks she was constantly on the breast. Newborns have very tiny stomachs, so they need to eat slowly and often. Your baby will become more efficient at nursing as he grows.
    Enjoy this time though, it flies by so fast!

hey there

my dd is now 10 weeks and she has finally just started to eat about 15 minutes on each side. she'll go about 3-4 hours in between feedings but this was defiantly not the case a few weeks ago. up until her 8 week birthday (to the exact day) she was feeding every 1 1/2 hours for 45 minutes to an hour!. i couldn't do ANYTHING except feed her. as soon as i felt i couldn't take it anymore, it all thankfully changed. i now feel more human.

hang in there, it will get better. and like the pp said, enjoy your time together now. soon, you'll be missing these long feedings!

take care

diana

I remember my son doing the same thing when he was a newborn. The books said to let him finish the first side first and then offer the second side. But he would nurse well on the first breast and then zone out into occasional flickers of comfort nursing ... for 45 minutes or longer. I don't think he EVER gave up and let go -- I would always need to get up and use the bathroom or something first.

If this is what your baby is doing, then don't watch the clock per se, but once he drifts off into lala-land and is just occasionally giving a comfort suck, it's okay to unlatch him. If he isn't finished, he'll let you know by fussing for the breast again -- at which point you can offer the second breast.

Another idea is, to encourage active sucking rather than endless comfort nursing, is to do breast compressions. It will move a little more milk into his mouth, and if he doesn't want milk at that point, he may let go on his own.

With all this time at the breast, and signs of OALD already developing, you sound like a prime candidate for oversupply issues. So don't worry if the 2nd breast isn't taken at every feeding, and be sure that you aren't removing him from the first breast before he has finished active nursing on that side, regardless of how many minutes he's been there.

Re-reading my post here, I'm afraid I may give the impression that comfort sucking isn't important or is harmful -- not true! It's just that a mom does need a chance to use the toilet, take a shower, eat a meal now and then. Occasionally cutting short the endless comfort nursing isn't going to harm the baby, and it can make a big difference for mom.

Sounds like you're doing great! Let us know how things go.

--Rebecca