Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Last of my reserves are gone.

Default Last of my reserves are gone.

I took the last 10 ounces of EBM out of the freezer tonight. I just had a two hour nursing session with her. It's taking longer and longer for her to pull off and let me know she's done. I don't know what to do. I'm going to have to supplement with formula tomorrow. I'm in tears!!

My husband mentioned something that got me thinking. I was induced a week early for medical reasons, but when she was born they said she was more then likely at 36 weeks, not 39 like they had thought. I also had a HORRIBLE labor, which almost resulted in a c-section. They later told me "oops, we should have waited a few more days, you weren't ready yet" (pretty much ). Anyway, could forcing your body to do something (labor and delivery, and subsequently milk production) influence your body's ability to maintain an adequate supply? It took my milk 6 days to come in, which I was told by the LC was a long time. I guess "normal" is 3-5 days.

Default Re: Last of my reserves are gone.

Well, first of all, I'd like to give you a big cyber "hug".

However long it takes for your milk to come in generally is normal, and your baby was adequately nourished as you were making the amazing colostrum that your baby needed at the time!

How much time is there generally between feedings and what is the average length of her feedings? Also, is she having many wet/poopy diapers every day?

are you sure your LO is not just sucking for comfort?

Here is a link to a post that will explain everything, so I don't have to retype it all.

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=2571

But no, she doesn't have enough wet diapers unless she is supplimented with EBM, but I'm not able to pump enough to suppliment with, and she's not content after feeding at my breast.

I'm at my whits end.