Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when will my 6 month old sleep thru the night

Unhappy when will my 6 month old sleep thru the night

i have a 6 month bb he has three solid meals a day plus breast feeding every two hours,i put him down in his crib at 8pm, he then continues to feed every 2 hours from 12pm, my hv says that breast feed babies vever seep throygh the night, is this true ?i need a good nights sleep soooo tired,

Default Re: when will my 6 month old sleep thru the night

My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 10 months old, and that is only because I 'trained' her to (I know, many parents don't agree with that). Even now, 'sleeping through the night' consists of her waking up at 4am. Many moms bring the baby to bed to nurse, as it allows them to rest. I did that until Maggie almost fell out of the bed (I caught 1 foot as she was going over the side) because I fell into a pretty deep sleep while she was feeding; something I'd never done before. That, and that alone, is the reason I decided that we couldn't keep up waking every few hours (I cleared my situation w/ our pedi before I started training her to verify that she didn't 'need' the feedings). So to get back to your question, your son is perfectly normal and at this point, you can weigh your options as to how your individual family will deal with nightime feedings. Also, something to think about, I was actually really sad when I had to end them...it was so peaceful; just our time together when everything else was quiet.

Dont Know If I Could Handle Any More Night Feeds, When He Wakes He Only Feeds For A Few Minutes, He Has A Dummy Ive Tried Putting It In But He Screms The House Down, I Cant Put Him In Bed With Me As I Cannot Trust My Parner Not To Roll On The Baby, He Sleeps Very Deeply,i Have Not Got The Chance To Nap In The Day Time As I Have A Very Demanding 4 Yr Old Who In Between Feedin Likes To Have My Full Attention!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    i have a 6 month bb he has three solid meals a day plus breast feeding every two hours,i put him down in his crib at 8pm, he then continues to feed every 2 hours from 12pm, my hv says that breast feed babies vever seep throygh the night, is this true ?i need a good nights sleep soooo tired,
    Well it sounds like you are worried that you will never sleep again, and I can totally tell you that you will. I just can't hypothesis when. There are lots of reasons baby's feed often. You could be going through a critical growth period, and bb needs the calories, baby could be teething and using the oxytocin in your milk for pain management, or maybe you just have a baby that really needs to connect with mama right now. Whatever it is, its temporary and eventually will change. In the meantime it will be up to you to discover a way to sneak in some naps when your baby naps. Is that possible? Do you have a friend or someone who could come over while you are home and enteratain your other child for an hour or two? Usually thats a workable time frame, and even just laying down without sleeping, it will do your weary body some good. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I Cant Put Him In Bed With Me As I Cannot Trust My Parner Not To Roll On The Baby, He Sleeps Very Deeply,i Have Not Got The Chance To Nap In The Day Time As I Have A Very Demanding 4 Yr Old Who In Between Feedin Likes To Have My Full Attention!!!
    My two cents:

Sleep between your partner and the baby and put a bed rail on the outside so the baby can't roll off. Or move to a different bed (that was our solution) for a little while. Or kick your partner out for a while until things settle down (BTDT too ). It doesn't mean you don't love your partner, it's more a matter of survival, IMHO.

How I sneak in a nap -- I have a super-active two year old who is trouble on two legs . ... I close us all into one room that we have pretty much babyproofed, and he's old enough now to know what he's not allowed to touch anyway. I put PBS on, put out some snacks and a drink for him, and let him pick out some special toys. We all climb on the bed, but my two year old knows he can get down and play quietly. I nap with the baby after nursing him down. Sometimes we all fall asleep. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes my best intentions go awry, but at least I tried, KWIM.

It will get better. But most babies don't sleep as much as we want them to because physiologically they can't since they need to eat frequently, and things like teething, separation anxiety, learning new skills (Colton practices crawling at night while asleep!) all interfere.

FYI, it's not true that BF babies can't sleep well. My Colton is a fabulous night sleeper most of the time (he's teething and developing new skills, so it's been a little tough this week). He wakes once around 2AM to nurse for a few minutes. We cosleep, so it's not been an issue for us. IMHO, it's a personality thing, not what the baby eats.

Second FYI, sleeping through the night is considered to be from midnight to about 5 AM, or 5 hours. Most adults do not consider that sleeping through, but that's the medical definition

Hang in there!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!