Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my lack of body fat hurt milk production?

Exclamation Can my lack of body fat hurt milk production?

I have always been underweight with a small frame.....5' 9 1/2" 123 lbs. before the pregnancy. Got up to 152 lbs. during the pregnancy. My daughter is 4 1/2 months old and my weight is down to 118. I have always had trouble keeping weight on. All thin people on both sides of my family; it's genetics.

Anyway, yesterday was check-up day for dd and her weight wasn't where it should have been for the first time. Up until now she has been in the 50th percentile with weight, yesterday she went just below.

I'm a little paranoid. For four months she would just eat from one breast at a time...lately she's drainging both and it doesn't seem to be enough. Also, she was sleeping through the night and now she is waking for feedings again.

Today, her diapers have not been very wet.

I am not looking for weight-gaining suggestions.....eating tubs of ice cream before bed won't work. I would just like to know if a complete absence of body fat can hurt my milk production????

DH fed her a bottle of EBM from freezer and she finally seemed to be satisfied.

Also, it's very likely that she has a high metabolism like Mommy and her increase in movement and activity can be burning alot....could that be a problem at this age??

Please offer any knowledge you may have on this.
    Last edited by NolaMomma; April 29th, 2006 at 07:04 PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Can my lack of body fat hurt milk production?

As long as you are taking in plenty of nutritious calories and lots of fluids throughout the day, your body fat percentage isn't likely to make a difference with your milk supply.

It can be a surprise when our milk supply starts to "regulate" and nursing sessions become longer and they are not getting such a rush from each breast. This is normal.

Since it is not biologically common for babies to sleep "through the night", your baby's sleep habits may be changing to meet a need. It could be to get in more nursings (could be a growth spurt) and the good news is that more frequent wakings greatly decrease the risk of SIDS.

Some mothers find that taking baby to bed helps quite a bit and can make the night wakings less traumatic for everyone, and easier to nurse for longer periods to meet baby's needs while meeting your need for more sleep.

I just wanted to add a word or two of caution against giving too much weight to percentiles on a growth chart. First, there are many of them in use and none of them (unless your doctor uses the ones just put out by the WHO last month) are based on exclusively breastfed babies. The best growth chart out there still takes formula-fed babies into consideration in the growth curve and formula fed and breastfed babies simply do not grow at the same rate. This is a good abstract of info relating to growth charts (not a LLL source): http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...arts.html#note Bottom Line: Growth charts measure statistical percentages. It's common for babies to be in one percentile this month and a different one next month.

Breastfed babies tend to gain more quickly for the first few months and then their weight gain tends to slow down.

I would suggest that instead of relying on the growth chart, you look at your baby and her overall weight gain. For the first 0-4 months of life, a breastfed baby will gain, on average, anywhere between 5-7 ounces per week. From 4-6 months they slow down to about 4-5 ounces per week. Also, just as som e babies will gain more than this, some will also gain less which is why it's a great idea to Look at the Baby, Not the Scale.

Now, there is some research that indicates that the types of fats (not the amount) that mom takes in can change the types of fat in her breastmilk. But as LLLErin mentioned above, the amount of fat and calories in mom's diet won't affect the average amount of fat and calories in her breastmilk. This isn't a LLL approved resource, but you may find it interesting -- What affects the amount of fat or calories in mom's milk?

Look at your baby -- how is she doing? Active, alert, meeting her milestones? This is usually a very reliable indicator of baby's well being

HTH!

She's doing great, I totally panicked. Thanks for the article link; it helped to ease my mind.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

If body fat hurt the milk production , then my baby would be starving. I too struggle with being underweight, I'm 5'5" and weight 101lbs (on clothes). My baby is not chunky (my first one is) and he's doing well. So don't worry, you're not the only one .