Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OALD

Unhappy Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OALD

I have an ungodly OS of BM and have been Exclusively Pumping for the first 12 weeks. It doesn't matter if I pump every 4 hours or every 8 hrs, I end up w/ 50-60oz in a 24 hr period! I had been backing to only 3 times a day- every 8 hrs and I get between 7-9+ oz per breast! We have been working with a sheild to get her latch right and am now ready to block feed and only pump a little to maintain my freezer stash. (Which is over a 3 month supply in the stand-alone-freezer!) I've been only pumping in the morning and evening and only 4-5 oz per breast - not emptying them. But I am still extremely painfully engorged - getting major stretch marks - and in constant breast pain like mastitis is coming on - but not sick/no fever/no red streaks. HELP!!!!!!!

My LO is my 3rd and I have never successfully BF my other children due to poor latch & OALD/OS & large breasts w/ almost flat nipples. I pumped for 6-12 weeks w/ them. I am having much more success with the shield and have been able to move to latching w/o it unless I'm way engorged.

So now we are trying to transition to mostly nursing and her getting only 1 bottle a day when I'm running errands/napping.

My questions are:
    1.) How to block feed w/o so much pain? Every 4-6 hrs maybe?

2.) When to pump?

3.) If I pump only enough to be comfortable, then its only foremilk - so do I keep it? And I have to pump at least 3 oz per breast to be mildly comfortable to nurse her properly.

4.) Should I only pump the 5 oz a piece in the morning to alleviate the horrible pain AND NOT pump at night before bed? -I am afraid to not pump at night b/c I get so painfully engorged - even if I'm nursing her during the night once or twice. I've been making sure not to pump the full 9 oz per breast anymore for the last 3 days, but its not helping.

I'm in so much pain and its making it hard for her to nurse - she's already reflux - on meds, super gassy and green watery poops.... My LC has advised block feeding and reducing the pumping to only once or twice.

How should I go about making this work on a feeding on demand schedule?

PLUS-
    I want to keep up a freezer suply for when I go back to work in 3-4 months.

THANKS!

Default Re: Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OA

Hi Gin,

I'm glad to hear that breastfeeding seems to be going better for you and LO is starting to latch without the shield. This is very good news!

The likely reason for your pain is that you are not removing milk from your breasts very often. Pumping only twice a day without much breastfeeding in between, especially with oversupply, is a plugged duct waiting to happen. Since you already have a 3 months supply of breastmilk, at this point, I wouldn't worry about pumping and freezing more. Right now, you need to focus on two things: getting baby breastfeeding, and reducing your milk supply to the level of baby's demand.

You might try to hand-express or pump just enough to soften your breast to the point where baby will latch on. Then, feed baby on just one side until satisfied. Switching sides every 4-6 hours doesn't sound like a bad place to start. If the side you are not currently nursing on starts to feel uncomfortably full, you can hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable.

Block-feeding can take some time to work. Try to be patient with yourself and your baby. Do you have a local LLL group? It might be helpful for you to meet some other breastfeeding mamas "in real life".

You should know that some mothers with OS have more trouble with pumping than they do with direct nursing. It may be that, once LO is nursing regularly, your oversupply will improve.

I hope that helps. Hang in there,

Tiana

Default Re: Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OA

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    You might try to hand-express or pump just enough to soften your breast to the point where baby will latch on. Then, feed baby on just one side until satisfied. Switching sides every 4-6 hours doesn't sound like a bad place to start. If the side you are not currently nursing on starts to feel uncomfortably full, you can hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable.
    We did this and it did help, also changing the position that he was nursing in helped too. Hang in there mama!

Thumbs up Re: Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OA

Thank you all! I ended up getting double mastitis - worse on one side and that has taken care of the OS issue! LOL I'm recovering and now trying to get us into a normal feeding routine. She has no problems latching on now that I'm not constantly engorged! I use the rubber bracelet that either the Medela or Lansinoh company sent me when I emailed them for samples of thier BF storage products. It is a Breastfeeding Support Initiative Band! It represents the lawmaking support for protection of BF rights and donates money towards it! Thanks!

Wow- congrats to you for sticking with it through all your challenges. Have you tried things like putting cabbage leaves on your breasts to relieve engorgement? Pumping 3 oz out sounds like a lot and it's also telling your body to keep making more and more. It's a tough balance because you don't want to get more infections, but also if you pump less your production should slow down.

I second what Tiana said- don't worry about freezing anymore. Since you will be pumping at work you'll always have that milk to feed your baby the next day while you're gone, so you really don't need a huge stash.

Keep us posted!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Have you considered donating to a milk bank?

Talking Re: Transitioning from Exclusively Pumping BM to almost Exclusively BF w/ MAJOR-OS/OA

Wish I could donate-on Prozac, so I can't. The cabbage leaves helped sooooooo much! I'm leveled out now and she's nursing great!!!! Still have OALD though.... sometimes she keeps pace and others she comes off screaming, getting sprayed and I put a towel over until it stops. Thanks all!!!! I'm NAK right now! Never thought we'd get this comfortable!!! Hope I don't get any more infections of the milk glands & ducts again!

mostly & in am only now !