Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how many feedings at 5 weeks

Default how many feedings at 5 weeks

Does a 5 week old still need 10-12 feedings???

I find my dd is not hungry often 2-21/2 hours later-

Is it safe to go about 8 feedings? She eats so much better when truly hungry.

Thanks
    Lauren

Default Re: how many feedings at 5 weeks

heres a good link:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/schedule.html

Many mothers are surprised at how quickly and easily human milk is digested (often within 90 minutes of the last feeding). Rather than watching the clock, it is recommended that a mother watch for signs that her newborn is hungry, such as the rooting reflex, chewing/sucking on hands or fingers, or crying. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, crying is a very late cue that your baby is hungry.

Healthy, full-term infants need to nurse every two to three hours during a 24-hour period. This equates to eight to twelve feedings per 24 hours. Your newborn should not go longer than three hours between feedings for two significant reasons:

1) Your newborn needs frequent feedings for adequate nourishment and hydration.
    2) Frequent feedings ensure that your breasts are stimulated enough to establish a full milk supply.

In the first few weeks, your baby actually needs to breastfeed ten to twelve times per day. Your baby's feedings will gradually space out as he grows older and his stomach grows larger. Any schedule that prevents babies under six weeks of age from breastfeeding at least every two to three hours (or less during growth spurts!) could potentially cause poor weight gain. See the FAQ on growth spurts for more information about the increase in breastfeeding during this time. Research now shows that restricting the amount of time at the breast and extending the time between feedings can reduce not only your milk supply, but also the fat content of your milk. So, for a healthy, thriving baby breastfeed according to your baby's schedule.

Thanks-

I never go more than 3 hours- ever- but I think I have been so crazed at making sure she is fed every 2 hours that sometimes I think she just isn't hungry and she will just nibble. Then I feel like if I had waited it would have been a better feeding for her and for me!

Lauren

You have the right instinct! Definitely keep track to make sure you are feeding about every 3, but also remember that wet and soiled diapers as well as overall alertness and movement are all good signs that baby is getting enough to eat.

Is it considered a 'feeding' if baby latches on and eats only for a few minutes then does it again 10 min. later and so on- would each latch on be a feeding or is it too little amount of time to be considered feeding. Am i making sense?

sometimes this happens at the fussy time of night.

I was gonna say just what Season32 said. Trust your instincts and watch your baby. As long as she's gaining well, seems content, and has a good diaper output, you don't need to worry about watching the clock too closely. I found that when I stopped watching the clock (after 2 days of closely monitoring every feeding and very diaper change, which drove me crazy!) I was able to relax a lot more and just enjoy the experience more. Keep up the good work!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks!!

The crazy thing is that I'm not even too worried about Nera- she is happy pee's and poops a ton!

I'm concerned about keeping my supply up!! That's why I want her to feed heartily- the little nibbles are making me nervous!!

I had a problem bf my son (now 5yo) so I am overly crazy about my supply (which seems to be good)-

Quote Originally Posted by lrosen8750 View Post
    I'm concerned about keeping my supply up!! That's why I want her to feed heartily- the little nibbles are making me nervous!!
    I have two things to say to that:

(1) Your supply is based on your LO's nursing needs. So when she needs more nourishment, she'll nurse more frequently, thus upping your supply. When she doesn't need as much, she will nurse less. But she can always increase the supply again when she needs it by nursing more often. Aren't our bodies amazing?

She might be nibbling just for comfort, too. But if you feel like she's not nursing long enough at the non-comfort sucking sessions, you can always try to encourage her to stay on longer, rather than feeding more frequently.

(2) Be careful about trying to get your supply up too much, as this can lead to oversupply, which can be uncomfortable (whew, can it be uncomfortable AND make NIP tough!) and make baby mad. I am just now starting to get regulated after an oversupply problem (I didn't pump and I nursed on demand, but those boobs just wanted to make milk! ). It sounds like you're doing great, so I think you can just start trusting your body to do its thang!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I will agree with pps that don't watch the clock. There is an old saying my mother told me (and I credit this saying for my ability to BF my son): "you should feed a baby whenever a horse moves its tail." Which means all the time Whenever she acts hungry feed her. Even if she nibbles it will help your supply and Dr. Sears says that frequent feedings allow them to get more hind milk since you are feeding her before your breasts get too full. After 3 months or so she will probably start regulating the feedings herself, refusing to nurse when she is not truly hungry anyway.

Thanks Ladies!!

I appreciate all of your help!!
    Today we are dealing with lots of spit up and fussiness- I think I ate something bad!

Lauren