Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be worried?

Default Should I be worried?

I have a 7 day old son who has been dropping weight rapidly. I have him nursing anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes on a side at a time and then I still need to give him 2 oz of formula or he won't sleep. He had a lot of trouble latching on and now that we have worked out, I feel like I have zero milk supply. I have been trying to pump in between feedings to stimulate production. He is soiling 14 diapers a day so I am concerned. I have been keeping a log for the pediatrician of all input and output too. I know that it will take more time to get coordinated but am feeling so weepy like I am failing him.

Default Re: Should I be worried?

it sounds like his diaper out put is good is that 14 wet diapers? If so then he is doing fine. As far as production goes, getting him to breast as often and for as long as he wants is what is going to kick your supply into gear. Also skin to skin contact is very important and good for you and baby. Typically you see babies are up to birth weight by the 2nd week of life.

How Can I Increase My Milk Supply?

How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

Hope you find those helpful

Actually he is pooping about 14 times a day -- seedy which I know is good but we are changing him at the beginning of a feeding and the end too.

I hate having to add the formula but he has lost over a pound and the ped wants him back at birth weight.

I thought this was interesting:

"Why can't urination alone be used to assess newborn breastfeeding? It has long been known that the composition and quantity of human milk changes both during the weeks following birth and during a single feeding. The first milk, colostrum, provides the baby with many invaluable health benefits and is also a natural laxative ensuring the early evacuation of meconium. Though a mother's milk supply will greatly increase or "come in" within a few days of birth, the transition from colostrum to mature milk takes several weeks to complete. Transitional and mature milk are also responsible for increased stooling. As stated in Lactation Consultant Series Unit 8, page 7, "Newborns commonly stool at least five times a day after day three as the additional fat of transitional and mature milk causes the formation of bulk."

You could call your Pedi for peace of mind, but also is the stool mucousy at all? or does it look seedy mustard (sorry to be so graphic, but if there is a presence of mucous in the stool it could be diarrhea).

You still should get an idea of how many wet diapers he is having, if it is hard to see because of the presence of stool-rip the outside of the diaper to see if the cotton on the inside is yellow. Because you are BFing and supplementing I am sure he is getting plenty of fluids.

As far as weight is concerned (Leaders please correct me if I am wrong) you can weigh him before and after feeds to see how much he is getting at breast.

Have you thought about using a at-breast supplementers such as the Lact-Aid or the Medela SNS?

I have thought of that too. I think I will be heading over to the hospital BF coordinator and get some reassurance.

No mucus in stools that I can tell.

See if the BF coordinator or the ped can weigh him before and after, like the op said. My ds also had about 2 poops per feeding for the first few weeks. We went through diapers like crazy My ped told us that if they're pooping, you can be pretty confident they're peeing alright as well.
    Good luck and let us know how everything goes!!

What was your baby's birth weight? Lowest weight? Current weight?

We like to see them regain birthweight by 2-3 weeks. Before they reach that point we like to at least see the weight on an upward trend.

14 dirty, seedy diapers a day is an excellent sign. However you say he is "rapidly" losing weight?

Hang in there mama, we'll help you figure this out!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My lo was pooping during or after every feeding until a few days ago, probably at least 14-15 times a day. I think that's normal at first. The first week he only gained a few ounces (3 I think) but then at 2 weeks it was a pound and he's gained a pound a week since then despite pooping it up during feedings.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

He was 9lbs 2 oz at birth and 7lbs 14 oz at 5 days. I've been trying hard to not feed formula this last 12 hours since he is successfully latching on both sides. I did break at 3 this am because I just couldn't stay awake. H won't nurse if I am lying down -- hopefully soon.

This is my 5th baby and my 4th time nursing and I guess I was hoping for a smoother start. My husband says that it is smoother than the others, my hormones are playing havoc with me and I had forgotten how it is at the beginning. I never had a baby latch on with any regularity until 3 weeks before so at 8 days, he is doing so much better than the others. I keep remembering the easy part later. We are going to try and weigh him later so we can see how all is going weight wise. I'm just hoping not to have to supplement to get his weight gain going. Doctors like to know nothing is wrong.

What was his weight when you left the hospital? Has he gained any weight?

He's had a 14% weight loss which IS quite concerning. I'd like to know his entire weight history if you can give it. Honestly, 14 dirty diapers sounds a little excessive as well. I'd strongly suggest you talk to a pediatrician who is knowledgeable about breastfed babies, as well as an IBCLC.

How are his diapers since you've been trying to exclusively BF? You might try breast compressions to see about getting a little more into him. Is he latching on one side or both sides per feeding?

However, PLEASE work closely with a physician and an IBCLC. This is an unusual pattern for a breastfed baby. Since I'm not a doc and I'm not seeing your baby in person anyway, I can't say for sure that anything is wrong. However, the information you've given here is concerning to me.

Hugs

Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; June 30th, 2007 at 01:06 AM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!