Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice for 8 month old + nursing- please?

Default Need advice for 8 month old + nursing- please?

Hi - DS is 8 months old in a week or so. Lately nursing sessions are getting very short to the point where he doesn't empty the breast. He's on for 3-4 minutes one side and 2 minutes on the other. He seems content just wants to go play. With solids he has weeks where he eats very well but most of the time he's not really that interested eating maybe 2-2.5 ounces of veggies/fruits, 3 TBS of cereal 3 times a day.

My question is how do i get him to nurse better? Right now we nurse, play, then sleep. Should I start doing wake, play then nurse right before nap when he is more calm? I just don't want supply to drop very much. He doesn't take a bottle at daycare so gets his fluid from me if i can come nurse or from cereal.

Also what else can i expect in the next few months. He wants to learn to walk and stand all the time. I'm guessing once he learns to stand on his own he will rarely want to nurse with me.

Thanks!

Default Re: Need advice for 8 month old + nursing- please?

Does he still have plenty of wet diapers? Older babies can become very efficient, drinking a good quantity of milk in a very short time. That said, they also can be very distractable and become so engrossed in other activities that they forget to nurse. I'd try taking him to a calm, quiet place, and maybe even darken the room a bit. When my DS was very distractable, he was often more likely to nurse when he first woke up from a nap (or during the night). Also, breastfeed first before a meal of solids when you are with him so that he won't fill up on the solids and not want the milk. Sometimes once a baby masters a new skill (standing, walking) they become less preoccupied with it. He may go back to being more interested in quiet nursing time with mom as he gets a little older.

Smile Re: Need advice for 8 month old + nursing- please?

There are days when I have to lay down with my 6.5 month old to nurse because he is so nosey about everything going on around him. As long as he is still having plenty of wet diapers he's fine. He'll still want his momma's milk for a long time....no worries.

Default Re: Need advice for 8 month old + nursing- please?

My son is nearly 9 mos. old. Justice is also very distracted. I alternate feeding first, play then nap and play, nursing, and nap. He nurses when he first gets up and right before he goes down for his first nap, then I nurse him at lunchtime and after he gets up from his nap, nurse at dinner and nurse before bedtime. I do try to keep distractions to a minimal. I also nurse before he takes solids. He may only nurse a few min. on each side sometimes. He gets plenty of wet diapers and his weight gain is good so I don't worry. Good luck!