Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do child psychologists say?

Default Re: What do child psychologists say?

As usual, Rebecca has said it perfectly!

The psychiatrist my husband and I see is very pro-BF and told me she's "a family bed person." Every mental health professional I've consulted about my daughter (and there are quite a few) has been pleased to hear that she bf'd past 2 and has been AP'd as much as possible. Try the works of John Bowlby and the Tavistock Clinic. As for individuation, surely a child will have better mental health if he/she separates from the mother when he/she is ready. Pushing children away before they are ready just makes them insecure, IMHO.

As far as Freud goes, my dd is SO anal and still breastfeeding. Was consistantly pooping in the toilet before turning two. And cleans the living room for fun. She takes after her father - everything in it's place! And its easy to toilet train a nursing child.

As far as jealousy goes, leave dad and baby alone together. I am learning to do this and its been very good for the whole family. Let him find his own special ways to bond. This may give you more energy to give him a little more attention too.

I am bumping this thread because it deserves to be read. Rebbecca broke things down so well in post #6 that upon reading it my mind began to open and change. She has done this for me many times since. But since when I 1st read this I had a 6month old and I now have a two year old and there is an entirely new crop of extended nursers on this board, I felt like bumping it. It's a great discussion, and one that IMO helps so much with the things we struggle with since what we do, if you do it openly and not in the closet, is so NOT the norm here.(USA) It was so wonderful to me to see this group of intelligent women here having this discussion. I hope some of you enjoy it as well!

Way too lazy for formula

Love it! Not that I needed another book on my "to read" list, but now I have one thanks to this thread! I'll be sure to post when I get it & what I think.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wow, what a great read, from start to finish. Somehow I have never seen this. Must have been before I was hardcore. Thanks for the bump.

I remember feeling a lot of outside pressure to wean Kate when she was one and I was pregnant, which I think is when I really started to spend a lot more time here. I started trying to distract her from feedings and offer cups of milk instead and it tore us both apart.

My wonderful and supportive husband told me he didn't want me to wean, that Kate was clearly not ready and neither was I. I continued to nurse well into my pregnancy to the point that my milk production actually stopped. I was about 6 months along. Kate nursed on dry breasts for two weeks and then let it go. She was 16.5 months old. I have tried to offer her the breast a handful of times since Norah's birth and she laughs at me and I think she may have forgotten our nursing time together already. I will never forget it.

Kate is a very independent little woman. Many times I was told I was spoiling her, attending to her too quickly, too often and now those same people are astonished at her confidence and intelligence, both of which I attribute to our breastfeeding relationship.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks again for the bump.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Shelly, thanks for bumping. Fantastic topic!!

I want to have these conversations with friends and family in real life. I love to know that my extended nursing and potential tandem nursing will be an example and hopefully change at least one person's view of a normal or acceptable nursing relationship.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Shelly, thanks for bumping. Fantastic topic!!

I want to have these conversations with friends and family in real life. I love to know that my extended nursing and potential tandem nursing will be an example and hopefully change at least one person's view of a normal or acceptable nursing relationship.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Great Great thread, I love to read what Rebecca writes It always amazes me that Thomas still nurses at 2.5, ends up in our bed nearly everynight, Istill nurse him to sleep and have only spent nights away from him while having West. I always say he is the most indepent attached child I have ever met, 150% boy and has no fear..Shoulden't he be clingy, Whinny, and never want me out of his sight? I took him to preschool last week and he told me to go bye bye, I said, "Oh do you want to go home?" he said " No, me me go bye bye!" Amazed I am..