Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Letdown ?

Default Letdown ?

My dd is 5 months old, I pump a few times a day for 10 min each. and the past 3 weeks I noticed that I'm unable to feel a letdown when I pump or see much milk come out. Whenever I nurse, I always feel letdowns. I've been trying to relax and apply hot pad to my breasts prior to nursing, also I'm using the medela Lactina and I double pump too. This is really upsetting me, my supply is fine, however, I feel like I can't pump milk out anymore Any suggestions, advice?? TIA

Default Re: Letdown ?

I've always found it easier to get a let-down when I don't think about it. I either watch my soap opera or chat with my husband while I'm pumping which takes my mind off the let-downs hence come the let-downs

Thank you for the advice desperate, I will try that.

Bump.

First of all, check the pump. Oftentimes, it's the pump rather than us. Check the membranes, tubing, ect. Make sure everything is connected. If everything is okay there, consider taking it back to the pump depot and getting the suction checked.

Additionally, I would suggest 1) pumping a little longer and seeing if that makes a difference and 2) trying the suggestions for assisting MER found on this page: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

HTH!

My lactation consultant recommended that I pump for about 5 minutes and then turn it off and start over again because that initial phase of the quick suctions causes let-down. it works pretty well for me.

I wonder what sort of cues you are using? Some of us really need to go the extra mile when we pump in order to get a let down. Do you have any old sweaty baby cloths to smell> Yah, it sounds weird but what ever it takes. Looking at your baby while you pump can help, and if thats not possible you can get a photo. So we've cover two of the three; scent, visual, and now we need an audio cue. I always suggest a recording of babies hunger cries as a last resort.
    As far as pumping with a stop start sequence, I agree that it may trigger a let down. You may notice this stop start business in your own lo as they get older, they figure it out really quick.

i am a constant pumper. when i would nurse my baby i would feel let down- but never with my pump... even when i would pump 8oz i never felt let down. now i pump about 4 oz a time and still never feel it- what i am trying to say is if i pump only 1oz or 8oz i don't feel the let down- but when my baby is at the breast i do. i don't know if that is advice... but here is what i do... i massage my breasts while i pump. when i am not getting milk for a couple of minutes, i will stop, massage breasts, lean forward and shake them for about 20 seconds then pump again and i always get more milk.

Thank you everyone for your input, I will definetly take your advice