Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tender nipples

Question Tender nipples

I am not sure if this is where I sould be posting this. I am 35 weeks pregnant with my first child and am wondering what's normal to be feeling right now. My nipples are VERY sensitive and are getting more and more tender. I am leaking a very small amount of colostrum and have been for a while now. I am just wondering if my nipples are this tender now, how am I going to be able to stand nursing? I am really set on EBF my baby, but am nervous it is going to be painful since my nipples are already sensitive. I guess what I am wondering is if this is normal and what to expect with breastfeeding for the first time. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me!

Default Re: Tender nipples

The only problem with trying to answer that sort of question is that women vary so much! I could rashly generalize and say that at first you may experience some tenderness as your breast gets used to the baby. As your baby grows, so does its mouth, many problems with discomfort ease as the baby's mouth gets larger and takes in more of the area around the nipple. Some major factors in discomfort can be contracting thrush, and a latch that is shallow.
    I know its hard not to dwell on problems that may occur, but I would suggest not anticipating problems. You may be fortunate and have none.

I had very sensetive nipples throughout my pregnancy and leaked from week 20 on - sometimes a LOT.

The first two weeks of BFing were toe curling for me, very uncomfortable and painful - but once LO and I got the hang of it - it is really easy and pain free now =) Of course sometimes when Gabe is napping he latches on shallowly and it hurts - or if he grabs some other part of the breast =p Interesting hickies abound!

every woman is different - but I honestly wouldnt change what I am doing for my son - even with flat nipples - OALD and very little familial support

My nipples, too, were really, really sore at the end of my pregnancy. I was a little sore when I started nursing my son, but overall I've had very little soreness since beginning to breastfeed. Maybe you'll be lucky and the "sore part" will be over soon!

Thank you so much for your replies! I was just so worried that I am not "normal" having such sensitive nipples at this point in my pregnancy. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that they will feel better soon! I am really excited and looking forward to bonding with my baby! Thanks for the reassurance!

I think mine were more sensitive before I delivered than after. When I started nursing it was more like I finally got relief from an "itch" that needed to be scratched.