Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letdown???

Default Letdown???

What is it supposed to feel like? Thanks!

*feeling really dumb to be asking this*

Cool Re: Letdown???

Don't feel dumb! I was wondering the same thing when I was getting started with BF. Other women at the LLL meeting were talking about how they felt pressure or warmness at letdown, and I wasn't feeling anything.

At about 3 months, when my breasts got a bit smaller and DD and I were in a regular pattern of BF, I started to feel a very slight pulling feeling inside the breast. It basically feels like a big lump of milk is moving out from deep in the breast to the nipple. Sometimes I involuntarily exhale as a sort of sigh because it's relaxing.

I think it is different for everyone, though.

Default Re: Letdown???

my breasts get firm and i feel an intense pins and needles kind of feeling. it is unforgetable. i'm sure i'll have phantom letdown for the rest of my life!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Hmm... Well, I don't feel that. But then again, I've only been EBF for the last week as she was in NICU for 23 days before that. I do however feel like a tingeling (sp?) when she has been sucking for a couple seconds but I feel it in BOTH breasts, not just the one. I also get that same feeling sometimes when she cries *shrug*.

Quote Originally Posted by case View Post
    my breasts get firm and i feel an intense pins and needles kind of feeling. it is unforgetable. i'm sure i'll have phantom letdown for the rest of my life!
    Yep... I feel something sort of like that, but... not as intense. Do you feel this in both breasts simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by Izabella's Momma View Post
    Yep... I feel something sort of like that, but... not as intense. Do you feel this in both breasts simultaneously?
    yep. and when he cries sometimes. or if he's been napping for a long time and it's time to eat! sometimes it's not intense. but sometimes it is.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by case View Post
    i'm sure i'll have phantom letdown for the rest of my life!
    You may have just opened up a whole new branch of lactation science! Phantom letdown.....nice!

Thank you so much! I'll get this BF'ing stuff figured out yet!

I don't think I felt it until 2 months. It's a pins and needle feeling. It's normal not to feel one too. You can notice the letdown when your lo starts to swallow. You'll see several sucks in the beginning then when that first swallow happens you'll know it's let down time. It's not the best feeling, but in a weird way I like when it happens since I know the milk is flowing.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I rarely, if ever, feel my letdown. When I do feel it, its like a very slight pinching feeling deep down in the breast that goes almost as soon as it started. There was a time, around 3-4 months that I felt it more often.

I don't think its any reason to be concerned

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)