Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be pumping?

Default Should I be pumping?

My son is 3 weeks old & nurses for about 10-20 minutes every 2-3 hours. He generally only takes one side per feeding & seems satisfied afterwards and refuses the other side. He has a hard time keeping up with the flow, especially initially, so I don't believe I have a low supply & we're getting plenty of wet & dirty diapers daily. I just didn't know that since he nurses for such a short period of time, and only one side per feeding, is my supply going to be too little when he does demand more??

Oh, the things we worry about

Default Re: Should I be pumping?

There's no need to worry or to pump! It sounds like your baby is just quite efficient at nursing and you've got a great milk supply. Some people speculate that the reason we have 2 breasts is so that we can nurse twins -- one breast is all many babies need. You should always at least offer the 2nd side but he doesn't need to be interested as long as he's wetting and stooling normally.

Watch your baby and nurse him on demand. He's 3 weeks old now and if he hasn't already gone through one, he'll be hitting a growth spurt soon. He may need to nurse almost constantly -- just go with the flow. As long as your baby is wetting and stooling frequently, then he's getting all he needs. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!