Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this thrush?

Default Is this thrush?

This is my second bf child and i've never had any infections or problems *knock on wood*. Anyway, for the past couple of days i've noticed white patches on Elias' tongue that i can't wipe away. There are no other symptoms, i'm not in pain, Elias nurses fine and is content, except he's been very fussy at night and has been getting up more than usual but that could be his age. Anyway, is this thrush?

Default Re: Is this thrush?

It sounds like it -- you might just try having him suck some acidophilus powder off of your finger once or twice a day and see if that clears it up. That might be all you need to do to clear it up (if it's thrush, that is) but sometimes it requires a bit more aggressive treatment.

In the past, when my daughter had thrush at about a year old and she was already drinking cow's milk, I just gave her the cow's milk w/ the acidophilus in it and that cleared it up and that was necessary. But with DS2 we battled thrush off/on for the better part of a year -- it just wouldn't go away.

HTH!

Thanks Carol. Where can I get the acidophilus powder? I've never been through any of this so i'm clueless

Oh, you can find it in any health food, whole foods or grocery store. Of course, the higher the quality, the better and more expensive it is. Go for the capsules so that you can just break it open and dump the powder out on to your finger.

Here's some info specific to probiotics (which is what acidophilus is) -- but not from a LLL source: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

Thank you again Carol. I will get some tomorrow and do what you said. I appreciate it

It looks like i caught it early. I know a few women who gave up breastfeeding alltogether because of thrush. That won't happen with me i can assure you

Well i started the probiotic treatment, hopefully it works..thanks again

I am not an expert by any means; however, I did find some information on this site for you, in case the acidolphilus does not work for you. Genetian Violet is what my 1st dd's pediatrician told me to use for her mouth and my nipples when we got thrush. The only draw back about using it is that ist does stain, but it worked perfectly for us.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breast...o/a/aanho6.htm

Thank you for that information! If the treatment doesn't work i'll look into that. I don't mind that it stains