Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: let other side leak?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default let other side leak?

A couple of minutes into a feeding when I have a letdown, I leak terribly from the other side. This morning, my LO has fed 3 times and I experimented by collecting the milk that dripped from the other side and got 2.5 oz already! Should I continue to let it leak, or should I try to put pressure on my other breast so that it doesn't leak? I just want to make sure my LO has enough milk for the rest of the day. Thanks!

Default Re: let other side leak?

When we had leakage issues I would just slightly put pressure on the one not being used to inhibit the leaking. Eventually with the pressure (and a regular 'schedule') it should cease.

But wow on the 2.5 oz just from that - thats a fine supply!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would say you can let it leak not an issue
    this is good sign of good milk supply
    I had similar issues till my DS is 3 months old...

But other thing is you can still catch it and store and use it in next feed too if at all u want to take rest or something so that someone can feed kid...

but do not worry things are perfectly normal.. u r just doing gr8 ..be happy)

Yup I have this problem too. No advice for you but wanted to know how you 'caught' it. I thought to try this, but gave up after husband was in hysterics watching me trying to catch milk coming out in six jets, all squirting in different directions. Im glad he finds my breasts so amusing...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

I had it too. I just put pressure on the unused side while feeding, and didn't have any problems. It's obviously OK to let it leak, but I personally didn't like that, so I applied pressure.

HTH

Talking Re: let other side leak?

My baby's five months now, but when he was first born, I wold fall asleep nursing him, and wake up when we were bothed soaked. I would have to change his clothes, and we ALWAYS slept on a towel. Every once in a while, milk from the other breast will still drip on his head, and my husband gets a kick out of our baby's expretion. He's just baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by cmp12345 View Post
    I just want to make sure my LO has enough milk for the rest of the day.
    Even if you let it leak, you will have plenty of milk for your LO throughout the day. If everything is working normally, your body is constantly producing milk based on your baby's feeding needs and frequency of nursing, so you will not reach a point in the day where you just run out. So, there's no harm in letting it leak. It's just a matter of whether it bothers you. I use a cloth diaper to catch the drips, but I don't leak nearly the amount you do!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?