Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis is coming - can I do anything!?

Default Mastitis is coming - can I do anything!?

I've had mastitis a few times & am pretty sure I'm getting it again. Is there anything I can do right now to stop it without having to go to the Dr, get the meds & let it run its course?

Default Re: Mastitis is coming - can I do anything!?

I never had Mastitis but I had a plugged duct. I would suggest to apply heat all the time, especially before a feeding and to nurse frecuently on that side.

HTH

It's not from a plugged duct, though. It's from a crack on my nipple - some 'infection' must've gotten in there. I've got the hot red spot but no other symptoms yet.

Do you have any cream. I use Purelan and it works pretty good when I have cracked nipples. If you have the infection already, I'm not sure if it will work though.

I really hope you'll get better!

I started to reply and not sure what happened...my computer went wacky! Sorry if this is a repeat response.

My baby's 8 weeks old and I've had mastitis three times and now I'm doing all I can to prevent another infection. The most recent case was from a cracked nipple. When I feel an infection coming on, I apply heat and massage the breast and then make sure to nurse off that side and empty the breast. Sometimes I'll pump a little after nursing if it doesn't seem like it's empty or if I feel engorged. I also take a couple Tylenol (safe to use while breastfeeding) since my fever comes on quickly and I get the shakes really badly. It also helps ease some of the pain in the breast. After you nurse, rub some breast milk on the nipple, let it air dry, then apply the Lansinoh or Pure Lan to help the cracked nipple heal. Make sure baby's latching on properly, too and try to keep pressure off the breast. I found I was putting pressure on my breasts while sleeping on my side and burping the baby.

You may also want to be checked for anemia since being anemic can make you more susceptible to infection. I also had my doctor test for yeast in the cracked nipple...since it wasn't healing. My doctor also said that if you start to get a fever above 101 and the chills to call because that means the infection has gotten into the bloodstream and then it's important to get on antibiotics.

Another mom direced me to the Kelly Mom website (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html) and there's some good information in this website in the Resources section.

It's so painful and frustrating to keep getting mastitis...I can totally relate! I hope you feel better!